Sept. 22, 2012
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The Mizzou women's tennis team continued play at the Aces for the Cure Invitational Saturday at the Plaza Tennis Center in Kansas City, Mo. The Tigers competed in doubles against Princeton and Tulsa on Saturday morning and went against Oklahoma State in singles in the afternoon.
All three Mizzou doubles teams earned wins on the day. In the first session, senior Maria Christensen and sophomore Alex Clark earned an 8-4 victory over Princeton's Katie Goepel and Emily Hahn at No. 3 action. Against Tulsa, the Tigers were victorious at both No. 1 and 2 play. At No. 1 doubles, junior Cierra Gaytan-Leach and sophomore Elisha Gabb defeated Michelle Farley and Saana Sarteinen, 8-4, while the duo of junior Rachel Stuhlmann and freshman Madison Rhyner posted an 8-3 win over Maria Sant' Anna and Renata Kurikova at No. 3.
Clark also emerged victorious in singles action against Oklahoma State as she recorded a 3-6, 6-2, 10-6 win over Maria Alvarez at No. 3 play.
The Aces for the Cure Invitational concludes Sunday morning when Mizzou faces off against Oklahoma State in doubles at 9 a.m. and Tulsa in singles at 10:30 a.m.
First Round Doubles
Mizzou vs. Princeton
Second Round Doubles
1. Lindsay Graff/Katherine Flanigan (Princeton) def. Elisha Gabb/Cierra Gayton-Leach (Missouri), 8-6
2. Amanda Muliwant/Monica Chow (Princeton) def. Rachel Stuhlmann/Madison Rhyner (Missouri), 8-6
3. Alex Clark/Maria Christensen (Missouri) def. Katie Goepel/Emily Hahn (Princeton), 8-4
Mizzou vs. Tulsa
1. Elisha Gabb/Cierra Gayton-Leach (Missouri) def. Michelle Farley/Saana Sarteinen (Tulsa), 8-4
2. Rachel Stuhlmann/Madison Rhyner (Missouri) def. Maria Sant'Anna/Renata Kurikova (Tulsa), 8-3
3. Samantha Vickers/Isaura Enrique (Tulsa) def Alex Clark/Maria Christensen (Missouri), 8-3
First Round Singles
Mizzou vs. Oklahoma State
1. Malika Rose (OSU) def. Cierra Gayton-Leach (Missouri), 7-5, 2-6, 10-8
2. Meghan Blevins (OSU) def. Rachel Stuhlmann (Missouri), 6-1, 7-6 (5)
3. Alex Clark (Missouri) def. Maria Alvarez (OSU), 3-6, 6-2, 10-6
6. Saan Sarteinen (Tulsa) def. Madison Rhyner (Missouri), 6-3, 6-3