April 5, 2013
Box Score |
ST LOUIS, Mo.
- The Mizzou tennis team suffered a 4-0 loss to No. 7 Alabama Friday afternoon at the Dwight Davis Tennis Center in St. Louis. The loss dropped the Tigers' record a 9-9 overall and 2-8 in Southeastern Conference action, while the Crimson Tide improved to 17-2 and 9-1.
The Crimson Tide claimed the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 action. Alabama's No. 1 team of Alex Guarachi and Mary Anne Macfarlane, ranked sixth nationally, defeated junior Cierra Gaytan-Leach and sophomore Alex Clark, 8-1. At No. 2 action, Antonia Foehse and Maya Jansen beat senior Maria Christensen and junior Rachel Stuhlmann, 8-6.
Alabama went up 2-0 when No. 113 Natalia Maynetto dispatched freshman Madison Rhyer, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 6 singles action. The Crimson Tide also won at No. 1 when No. 26-ranked Macfarlane defeated No. 105 Gaytan-Leach, 6-3, 6-4.
The visitors clinched the match when No. 56 Guarachi recorded a 6-3, 6-4 win over Stuhlmann at No. 2 singles.
Missouri returns to action on Sunday, April 7 to host the No. 23 Auburn Tigers at 11:30 a.m. at the Dwight Davis Tennis Center in St. Louis, Mo. Due to a marathon in the area on Sunday, fans who arrive before 11 a.m. must enter Forest Park through Hampton Avenue and park at Boathouse Forest Park.
No. 7 Alabama 4, No. 49 Mizzou
1. No. 26 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) def. No. 105 Cierra Gaytan-Leach (MU) 6-3, 6-4
2. No. 56 Alex Guarachi (UA) def. Rachel Stuhlmann (MU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Maria Christensen (MU) vs. No. 84 Maya Jansen (UA) 7-6 (4), 2-5 unfinished
4. Antonia Foehse (UA) vs. Elisha Gabb (MU) 7-5, 1-2 unfinished
5. Emily Zabor (UA) vs. Alex Clark (MU) 6-4, 4-5 unfinished
6. No. 113 Natalia Maynetto (UA) def. Madison Rhyner (MU) 6-1, 6-1
1. No. 6 Alex Guarachi / Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) def. Cierra Gaytan-Leach / Alex Clark (MU) 8-1
2. Antonia Foehse / Maya Jansen (UA) def. Maria Christensen / Rachel Stuhlmann (MU) 8-6
3. Elisha Gabb / Madison Rhyner (MU) vs. Natalia Maynetto / Emily Zabor (UA) 6-2 unfinished
Order of Finish
Singles: 6, 1, 2
Doubles: 1, 2