April 1, 2007
Waco, Texas -
The University of Missouri women's tennis team lost the second match of a two-match Texas road trip to No. 16 Baylor Sunday in Waco. The Tigers fall to 6-10 overall this spring and 1-7 in the Big 12. The 16th-ranked Bears are now 13-6 overall and 6-1 in the Big 12, after beating Kansas and Mizzou by 7-0 scores this weekend.
Mizzou has three more Big 12 matches and one non-conference contest left in the regular season, and Head Coach Blake Starkey hopes the team puts more conference wins on the board. In order to do that, he said, "We have to play more consistent ... Every player has to show up for every match." Mizzou's next match is Saturday, at home, against Kansas.
As for today's match, Starkey said the team played better than they did on Saturday against No. 69 Texas Tech, but the 16th-ranked Bears were still too tough for the Tigers.
The match started off with doubles action, where the Bears beat the Tigers in all three contests. At No. 1, Baylor's duo of Zuzana Cerna and Zuzana Chmelarova downed Katelyn McKenzie and Raquel Wagner, 8-2. At No. 2, Baylor's 38th-ranked duo of Lenka Broosova and Klara Zrustova beat Erika Josbena and Amanda Pratzel, also by an 8-2 mark. Kaitlin Dunham and Chrissy Svetlic's match against Zuzana Zemenova and Iva Mihaylova was closer than the first two, but the MU duo still fell, 8-5.
In singles play, Baylor held former NCAA Champion Zuzana Zemenova out of the match, so each player in the Bears' projected lineup moved up.
At No. 1, No. 49 Zuzana Cerna defeated Pratzel, 6-1, 6-1. At No. 2, 93rd-ranked Lenka Broosova downed Svetlic, 6-0, 6-1. Josbena lost her match at No. 3, 7-5, 6-2, to Baylor's Zuzana Chmelarova.
Dunham won her first set at No. 4 singles against Mihaylova, 6-4, but fell in the second, 6-0, and in the ten-point tiebreak, 10-8.
McKenzie and Wagner lost their matches at No. 5 and No. 6 in straight sets.
The Tigers now return to Columbia to prepare for Saturday's match against Kansas, which starts at 1 p.m. at the Green Tennis Center in Columbia. The match, part of the Border Showdown Presented by the Midwest Ford Dealers, is free and tennis fans are encouraged to attend.
1. Zuzana Cerna/Zuzana Chmelarova (BU) def. Katelyn McKenzie/Raquel Wagner (MU) 8-2
2. (38) Lenka Broosova/Klara Zrustova (BU) def. Erika Josbena/Amanda Pratzel (MU) 8-2
3. Zuzana Zemenova/Iva Mihaylova (BU) def. Kaitlin Dunham/Chrissy Svetlic (MU) 8-5
1. (49) Zuzana Cerna (BU) def. Amanda Pratzel (MU) 6-1, 6-1
2. (93) Lenka Broosova (BU) def. Chrissy Svetlic (MU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Zuzana Chmelarova (BU) def. Erika Josbena (MU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Iva Mihaylova (BU) def. Kaitlin Dunham (MU) 4-6, 6-0, (10-8)
5. Klara Zrustova (BU) def. Katelyn McKenzie (MU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Jana Bielikova (BU) def. Raquel Wagner (MU) 6-1, 6-2