March 12, 2007
Columbia, Mo. -
The 68th-ranked University of Missouri women's tennis team lost to Louisville, 4-3, at the Green Tennis Center Monday. With the loss, the tigers fall to 5-5 on the season, but Coach Starkey was pleased with the team's effort.
"These are the kinds of matches you love being a part of. You hate being on this side of it, but I can't say enough good things about our team. I love the way we fought," Starkey said.
The match started off on a great note as Mizzou won two of the three doubles points, including a great match at No. 2, Erika Josbena and Amanda Pratzel jumped out to an early lead after breaking their Louisville counterparts in the third game of the match. Josbena's tough serves and solid net play, in addition to Pratzel's consistent backcourt game, proved key in this game and throughout the rest of the match. The match went to a tiebreak at 8-8, where Josbena and Pratzel took advantage of a number of Louisville double faults and breezed through the tiebreak, winning it 7-2.
At No. 3 doubles, Chrissy Svetlic and Kaitlin Dunham breezed past Jo-Ann Van Aerde and Natalie Lazkowski, 8-0. Raquel Wagner and Katelyn McKenzie lost their match at No. 1, 8-4.
The Tigers took a 1-0 lead into singles play, but would lose the first four matches to fall in the match, 4-3.
Mizzou earned wins at the No. 5 and No. 6 slots, as McKenzie won at No. 5, 4-6, 6-2, 12-10. She lost the first set, but fought back to win the second, and win a tight tiebreak played in place of the third set, 12-10.
Raquel Wagner earned Mizzou's other singles win at No. 6. This match also went to a third set tiebreak, but Wagner won the first set of her match, and dropped the second before the tiebreak. She defeated Natalia Baez, 6-3, 2-6, 11-9.
At No. 1, Pratzel had her hands full with Louisville's Lauren Imre. Pratzel lost the first set, 6-3, but fought back to win the second, 7-5. She fell in the third set, 7-5, to lose the match, 6-3, 5-7, 7-5. Josbena lost her contest at No. 2 singles, 6-3, 6-3, Svetlic lost at No. 3, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4, and Dunham lost at No. 4, 6-4, 6-0.
The Tigers will hit the road next weekend to face Oklahoma Friday and Oklahoma State Sunday.
Louisville 4 (68) Missouri 3
Monday March 12, 2007
Green Tennis Center (Indoor Courts)
1. Lauren Imre/Robyn White (UL) def. Raquel Wagner/Katelyn McKenzie (MU) 8-4
2. Erika Josbena/Amanda Pratzel (MU) def. Natalia Baez/Bianca Gorbea (UL) 9-8 (7-2)
3. Chrissy Svetlic/Kaitlin Dunham (MU) def. Jo-Ann Van Aerde/Natalie Lazkowski (UL) 8-0
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Lauren Imre (UL) def. Amanda Pratzel (MU) 6-3, 5-7, 7-5
2. Natalie Lazkowski (UL) def. Erika Josbena (MU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Robyn White (UL) def. Chrissy Svetlic (MU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
4. Bianca Gorbea (UL) def. Kaitlin Dunham (MU) 6-4, 6-0
5. Katelyn McKenzie (MU) def. Jo-Ann Van Aerde (UL) 4-6, 6-2, (12-10)
6. Raquel Wagner (MU) def. Natalia Baez (UL) 6-3, 2-6, (11-9)
Order of finish: 4, 2, 1, 3, 6, 5 (Note: 5 and 6 started after 4 and 2 finished)