Head Coach Ehren Earleywine
May 5, 2011
COLUMBIA, Mo. – The fate of the Big 12 championship comes down to this weekend, as the No. 8 Missouri softball team plays host to the No. 3 Texas Longhorns in arguably the biggest regular season series to ever be played at University Field. At 44-6 overall and 13-2 in conference play, Texas is currently in first place in the conference, with Missouri (42-6) a game behind at 11-2 in Big 12 action.
Saturday’s game begins at 2 p.m. CT, with Sunday’s finale starting at Noon. Sunday’s game will air live nationally on ESPN, with Cara Capuano and Jessica Mendoza on the call.
Fans are encouraged to get to University Field as early as possible, as record-setting crowds are expected. Gates open an hour prior to first pitch. There is limited parking available around the field, but plenty of spaces down by the Reactor lot. Golf cart shuttles will be running back and forth from the field to Reactor all weekend long.
Though Sunday’s game is officially the Black Out game, the softball team wants fans to wear their black attire all weekend long. A packed house with everyone wearing the same color makes for a great atmosphere and shows off the unity of the Mizzou fan base on national television.
BREAK THE ATTENDANCE RECORD
We’re hoping to pack 2,000 fans into University Field on each day this weekend, and we need your help to accomplish that. University Field’s regular season attendance record is 1,712, set three weekends ago in the series finale against the Oklahoma Sooners. The overall record was set last year during game one of the NCAA Super Regionals with Oregon, as 1,765 fans showed up for that contest.
HOMETOWN HEROES GET IN FREE
Firefighters, police, EMS techs, hospital and military personnel all get in free with their professional ID all weekend long.
SOFTBALL SLOGAN CONTEST
Help the softball team come up with a postseason slogan on Saturday. Right now since we have the longest winning streak in the country, we are using the “We Must Protect OUR House.” Fans can submit ideas this weekend and the top three finalists will be announced at the final home game and the fans can choose the winner during the game. The winner will receive an exclusive prize pack that includes Under Armour gear, team merchandise, and much more. Contestants can submit ideas at the marketing sign up table during the games this weekend.
ENTER TO WIN
These prizes will all be available for fans to enter and win during Saturday’s game:
• Reserved parking & upgraded, reserved seats for Sunday’s Texas game
• 2011 Team Autographed Softball
• 2011 – 12 Truman Club membership
• Tickets to next weekend’s Iowa State series
• Get the opportunity to throw out a ceremonial first pitch at the Iowa State game
RUN THE BASES
Following the conclusion of Sunday’s game, all kids eighth grade and under will have the opportunity to run the bases.
New Missouri men’s basketball head coach Frank Haith will be throwing out the ceremonial first pitch prior to the start of Sunday’s contest.
Craft tables will be set up on Sunday, where kids will be able to make special Mother’s Day cards for their moms or cards for their favorite Mizzou softball player.
WHY IS YOUR MOM GREAT?
Fans will submit the reason(s) why their mom is great and fans will be picked at random to read their reason to their mom & the crowd over the PA system between innings on Sunday.
WEAR BLACK, BE LOUD!
Everyone who wears black on Sunday will receive $3 admission to the game. The first 1,000 fans will also receive free black poms.
MOTHER’S DAY EXTRAVAGANZA
All moms receive free admission with the purchase of a youth ticket. As they enter the stadium they will also be given a raffle ticket for great Mizzou athletics prizes.
BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP SCENARIOS
• If Missouri and Texas split the series and the Missouri-Oklahoma State game is NOT rescheduled…
- Missouri would be 12-3 with two games left; Texas would be 14-3 would one game left
- Missouri would have to sweep Iowa State to improve to 14-3 and Texas would have to lost to Baylor to fall to 14-4 for Missouri to win the regular season title
- If Texas were to beat Baylor, they would win the conference no matter what because Missouri could not match the Longhorns’ 15-win total
• If Missouri and Texas split the series and the Missouri-Oklahoma game IS rescheduled…
- Missouri would be 12-3 with three games left; Texas would be 14-3 would one game left
- If Texas beats Baylor, Missouri would have to beat Oklahoma State and sweep Iowa State to also finish at 15-3, making them co-champions
- If Texas loses to Baylor to fall to 14-4, Missouri would have to win two of three against Oklahoma State and Iowa State to guarantee a split championship. If Missouri went 3-0 in those games, they would be outright champions
• If Missouri sweeps the series and the Missouri-Oklahoma State game is NOT rescheduled
- Tigers improve to 13-2 with two games left; Texas falls to 13-4 with one game left
- No matter what Texas did against Baylor, Missouri would just need one more win to clinch the championship outright. A split with Iowa State would put the Tigers at 14-3, and if the Longhorns beat Baylor they’d finish 14-4, a half game back.
• If Missouri sweeps the series and the Missouri-Oklahoma State game IS rescheduled
- Tigers improve to 13-2 with three games left; Texas falls to 13-4 with one game left
- If Texas beats Baylor to finish 14-4, Missouri would have to win two of the three games remaining to win the outright title. Winning one of the three remaining games would result in co-champions.
- If Baylor beats Texas, the Longhorns would finish 13-5 and one Missouri win over the next three games would secure the championship
• If Texas sweeps the series…
- The Longhorns will clinch the Big 12 Championship outright no matter what happens when they play Baylor.
Tigers Get Thursday Sweep With 6-2 Win over...
Mizzou jumped on top with two first-inning runs, before making it 4-0 with two more in the fourth.
Mizzou Falls to Notre Dame, 3-2, to Open Citrus...
Mizzou Softball lost to Notre Dame after a seventh-inning rally fell short in a tight battle....
Mizzou Run Rules Cal State Fullerton, 10-2, to ...
Mizzou Softball downed Cal State Fullerton, 10-2, in five innings in its opening contest at the...
Mizzou Softball Heads to California for High-Pr...
The Mizzou Softball squad (4-1) takes a west coast swing to take on Cal State Fullerton, Long...
Softball Runs Away From SDSU on Final Day of...
Mizzou Softball downed South Dakota State, 13-0, on Sunday, finishing the Dot Richardson...
Tigers Fall to UCLA, 8-0
In the nightcap, the Tigers were done in by a four-run bottom of the fourth by the Bruins, with...
Mizzou Softball Splits Doubleheader on Day Two ...
Mizzou Softball split a doubleheader on day two at the Dot Richardson Invitational in Clermont,...
Mizzou Beats Cleveland State, 4-2
Mizzou improved to 3-1 on the season after downing the Vikings on the back end of a doubleheader ...
Official StoreOfficial Online
AUCTIONSOfficial Mobile APP