April 28, 2014
|Creighton||Columbia, Mo.||Tues./3 p.m. CT||Twitter | Stats | Video | KTGR|
|Creighton||Columbia, Mo.||Tues./5 p.m. CT||Twitter | Stats | Video|
KTGR: Will Palaszczuk (Gm. 1-only)
TIGER TALES- No. 15 Mizzou Softball (38-13, 14-7 SEC) kept its run of Southeastern Conference success rolling at No. 3 Florida from Friday, April 25-Sunday, April 27, taking two out of three games from the Gators to win a fifth-straight SEC series. Head coach Ehren Earleywine’s squad picked up the series-opening win, 5-3, on Friday before taking the series finale on Sunday by a 5-4 score. Freshman P Tori Finucane anchored both victories over the Gators from the circle.
• The Tigers will continue conference action Thursday, May 1-Saturday May 3 with No. 3 Alabama with two nationally televised games, but first set their sights on the final non-conference regular season opponent of the 2014 season, Creighton. Mizzou and Creighton will play a doubleheader at University Field on Tuesday, April 29, with start times of 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. Both games will have live video coverage from Mizzou Network, while the initial game of the doubleheader will be on KTGR (100.5 FM, 103.1 FM and 1580 AM).
• Mizzou has won 12 of its last 15 SEC games to run its league record to 14-7, which is currently tied for second in the stout softball conference. Alabama, who the Tigers host at University Field this week, sits atop the standings with a 17-4 mark. Tennessee also sports a 14-7 conference record. Three SEC wins would help Mizzou match Alabama in the final regular season standings.
• Two Tigers were recognized for their outstanding weeks on the diamond, with junior IF Corrin Genovese and Finucane earning SEC Player and Pitcher of the Week, respectively, on Monday, April 28. Mizzou became the first SEC program to win both Player of the Week and Pitcher of the Week honors in the same week this season. Genovese earned her first career weekly conference honor by batting .462 (6-for-13) to lead the Tigers to a 3-1 week and series win at No. 3 Florida (April 25-27). Her SEC batting average of .466 ranks second-best in the conference. Genovese dropped her first career grand slam on the Gators to help the Tigers clinch the series in the 5-4 win on Sunday, April 27.
• Finucane went 3-0 in three complete games this past week to improve to 19-5 overall, including her two SEC victories at No. 3 Florida. She limited Mizzou’s opponents to just a .181 batting average at the plate in her 21.0 innings of work. She controlled the Gators in the series-opening 5-3 win on Friday, April 25, improving to 7-0 in Friday league starts with a complete game (7.0 IP), four-hit, six-strikeout outing. She then struck out 10 in the series finale on Sunday, April 27, a 5-4 victory for Mizzou, to earn her 10th victory in conference play.
• Finucane’s work at No. 3 Florida comes after being recognized as a Top 25 Finalist for the National Fastpitch Coaches Association’s inaugural Division I National Freshman of the Year trophy on April 17. Finucane has been impressive in 2014, compiling a 1.69 ERA in 161.2 innings of work for a 19-5 record. Finucane has won nine consecutive decisions (April 4-April 27), the longest winning streak for a Mizzou pitcher since former ace Chelsea Thomas won 10-straight from Feb 25, 2012-March 21, 2012.
• Strong weeks were also had by redshirt sophomore SS/C Sami Fagan (4-for-9), sophomore 2B/OF Emily Crane (5-for-13) and Gadbois (5-for-14). Both Crane and Fagan recorded two two-hit games at Florida, while Gadbois went off for her 3-for-4 hitting performance in the series-opener (April 25).
• Genovese and junior 3B/C Angela Randazzo helped lead the way at the plate in Mizzou’s 5-0 shutout of in-state foe Missouri State on April 23. Both Tigers hit 2-for-3, with Randazzo also recording two RBI and scoring two runs with a triple and home run. Finucane pitched the midweek game for the Tigers, allowing just three hits in the complete game (7.0 IP) with five strikeouts.
• The Tigers’ sweep of Ole Miss (April 18-19) featured a home run in each victory by freshman 3B/2B Natalie Fleming. The newcomer to Mizzou looked like a seasoned veteran when she blasted a three-run, walk-off home run to right field with two outs in the bottom of the seventh. The long ball, her first of the series, gave the Tigers a 5-3 series-opening and doubleheader-opening win (Friday, April 18).
• Stop, thief! Gadbois leads the SEC in stolen bases with her 41 swipes in 2014. Her 0.85 stolen bases per game (heading into the week) ranked fifth in the nation. Her success this season ranks in Mizzou’s single-season Top 10 for stolen bases, tied for sixth.
THE OPPOSITION - CREIGHTON- Creighton (26-21, 7-10 BIG EAST) has an impressive No. 1 pitcher in Becca Changstrom, who sports a 1.81 ERA and holds opposing batters to a .189 average at the plate. Changstrom has a 15-12 record in 2014 with 186.0 innings in the circle.
• The Bluejays have just one batter close to the .300-range in Ellen Homan, who is hitting .295 for the season with six doubles. Power has come from Liz Dike, who has 15 of her squad’s 37 home runs.
• Also seeing time in the pitching department is Alexis Cantu, who has pitched 62.2 innings for a 2.68 ERA and 5-7 record.
• Sister act! Mizzou junior Kayla Kingsley’s younger sister, Kassidy Kingsley, is a freshman pitcher/infielder for the Bluejays.
SEC CHAMPIONSHIP TICKETS - Tiger fans! Tickets for the 2014 Southeastern Conference Softball Tournament (May 7-10) in Columbia, S.C., are on sale through host school, South Carolina.
• On sale are all-session booklets covering the four-day tournament. Reserved chairback seats are $60 per all-session booklet, while standing-room only passes are $40. Broken down by session, each ticket covers Wednesday's opening-round games, the midday and evening quarterfinal sessions on Thursday, Friday's semifinals and Saturday's finals.
• Fans may purchase tickets online at gamecocksonline.com/tickets, or by calling the South Carolina Athletic Ticket Office at 1-800-4SC-FANS (1-800-472-3267).
Gadbois Earns NFCA All-America Recognition
Gadbois led the Tigers in at-bats (202), batting average, hits, runs scored, on-base percentage (...
Mizzou Softball Downed in Regional Final by...
The No. 15-seed Mizzou Softball team suffered two setbacks to Nebraska Sunday afternoon in the...
Home Runs Blast No. 15 Mizzou Softball Past...
Two two-run home runs propelled No. 15 Missouri to a 6-3 win over Kansas on Saturday in the third...
Mizzou Advances Past Bradley in Exciting Extra-...
Junior IF Corrin Genovese concluded a 4-for-4 day with a game-winning single in the bottom of the...
Four from Mizzou Softball Earn All-Region Honors
Mizzou Softball saw four Tigers selected to the National Fastpitch Coaches Association's All-Sout...
Mizzou Ready to Begin Regional on Friday vs....
Mizzou starts with Bradley on Friday (3 p.m.), with free, live coverage provided by the Mizzou...
Regional Action Covered by KTGR and Mizzou Network
Mizzou's Columbia Regional games during the 2014 NCAA Division I Softball Championship will have ...
Mizzou Softball to Host NCAA Regional for Sixth...
The Mizzou softball team will serve as one of 16 NCAA Regional hosts this weekend, announced...
Official StoreOfficial Online
AUCTIONSOfficial Mobile APP