No. 16 Mizzou Notches 2-1 Overtime Win Over Kentucky

Junior Alyssa Diggs scored both Mizzou goals in the team's 2-1 OT win over Kentucky

Junior Alyssa Diggs scored both Mizzou goals in the team's 2-1 OT win over Kentucky

Oct. 5, 2012

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

COLUMBIA, Mo. - Junior Alyssa Diggs scored two goals, including the game-winner 7:45 into overtime, to give the No. 16 Mizzou soccer team a 2-1 overtime win over Kentucky Friday night at Walton Stadium. The win improved Mizzou's record to 11-2 overall and 6-1 in Southeastern Conference play, while the Wildcats fell to 8-4-1 and 3-3-1.

With only a few minutes left in the first overtime session, junior Danielle Nottingham dribbled the ball into the left corner of the box and sent a pass about 12-yards in front of the net. Diggs pounced on the ball and sent a low shot past Kentucky's goalkeeper and into the right corner of the goal. The tally was the team-leading sixth of the season for Diggs, while Nottingham posted her fourth assist of the year.

"We are very proud of our group to win this game in overtime," Mizzou Head Coach Bryan Blitz said. "In the second part of the second half we thought Kentucky really took it to us. They are a great team."

Diggs initially put Missouri ahead 1-0 in the 31st minute when she one-timed a loose rebound in the box following a shot from senior Haley Krentz. Krentz notched her team-leading seventh assist of the year on the play.

Missouri continued to get good looks on net but could not convert their chances. Diggs had two near-chances early in the second half but one shot went to the right of the goal and the goalkeeper got a hand on the other.

In the 65th minute, freshman Candace Johnson unleashed a 40-yard shot that went over the Kentucky keeper's head but bounced off the crossbar. Junior Taylor Grant also had a shot clank off the crossbar after receiving a pass from Diggs.

Kentucky seized on Mizzou's missed chances and knotted the score at 1-1 in the 84th minute. Senior Alyssa Telang lofted a long pass into the box that sophomore Arin Gilliand headed into the back of the net. The Wildcats continued to threaten in the waning minutes of regulation but Missouri's defense held firm to send the match into overtime.

The Tigers had a 19-15 shots and a 7-5 lead in shots on goal.

Sauerwein made four saves in net for Mizzou.

Missouri returns to the pitch on Sunday, Oct. 7 when the team hosts Mississippi State at 1 p.m. at Walton Stadium.



More Headlines
Online Stores
Official Store
Official Online

Top Videos
Download Schedules:   Add to calendar

Follow us!

Shelter Insurance
Shelter Insurance
Fan Poll
Where will Baseball finish in the SEC East this season?