Nov. 26, 2013
COLUMBIA, Mo. - Mizzou Head Swimming Coach Greg Rhodenbaugh announced the signing of 14 student-athletes to National Letters of Intent and the addition of one transfer to the program on Tuesday, Nov. 26. The 14 signees will enroll at the University of Missouri beginning and compete for the Tigers starting in the 2014-15 academic year, while junior transfer Dillon Love (Charlotte, N.C.) will join the Tigers for the 2014 spring semester.
The Tigers' class consists of eight women and six men, including nine swimmers and five divers. The signees include swimmers Sharli Brady (Burlington, Ky.), Rachel Hayden (Indianapolis, Ind.), Erin Metzger-Seymour (Westminster, Colo.), Hannah Stevens (Montgomery, Texas), Kira Zubar (Chasta, Minn.), Ryan Baker (St. Peter's, Mo.), Jordy Groters (Aruba), Zach Rogers (Chesterfield, Mo.) and Carter Wallace (West Columbia, Texas). The divers include Alexa Beckwith (Denver, Colo.), Kendra Kieser (Plano, Texas), Madeline McKernan (Montgomery, Texas), Elliot Cecil (Fishers, Ind.) and Hunter Fritter (Houston, Texas).
|MIZZOU SWIMMING AND DIVING SIGNING CLASS|
|Alexa Beckwith||Diving||Denver, Colo.||St. Mary's Academy||Mile High Dive Club|
|Sharli Brady||IM||Burlington, Ky.||Randall K Cooper||Northern Kentucky Clippers|
|Rachel Hayden||Sprint Free||Indianapolis, Ind.||North Central||Carmel Swim Club|
|Kendra Kieser||Diving||Plano, Texas||Plano Senior||Mustangs in the Sun|
|Erin Metzger-Seymour||Fly/Free||Westminster, Colo.||Ralston Valley||North Jeffco Swim Team|
|Madeline McKernan||Diving||Montgomery, Texas||Mongomery||Woodlands Diving Academy|
|Hannah Stevens||Back||Lexington, Ohio||Lexington||Columbus Swim Team of Ohio|
|Kira Zubar||Free||Chasta, Minn.||Eden Prairie||Aquajets Swim Team|
|Ryan Baker||Distance Free||St. Peter's, Mo.||Francis Howell||Rex-Plex Sharks Swim Team|
|Elliot Cecil||Diving||Fishers, Ind.||Park Tudor School||Starz Diving Club|
|Hunter Fritter||Diving||Houston, Texas||Klein||Cougar Diving Club|
|Jordy Groters||Breast/Free||Aruba||University School (Fla.)||Davie Nadadores (Fla.)|
|Dillon Love||Back/Free||Charlotte School||LSU/Mallard Creek||SwimMAC|
|Zach Rogers||Free/Back||Chesterfield, Mo.||Parkway Central||Parkway Swim Club|
|Carter Wallace||IM||West Columbia, Texas||Angleton||Houston Cougar Swim Club|
ALEXA BECKWITH | Diving |Denver, Colo.
High School: St. Mary's Academy
Club: Mile High Dive Club
- Three-time All-American at St. Mary's Academy
- Won the 2013 USA Diving Summer Junior Region 6 1-meter and 3-meter girls 16-18 titles.
- Teamed up to earn a sixth-place finish on the synchronized 3-meter at the 2013 USA Diving ATT Senior National Diving Championships
- Named the 2013 Sportswomen of Colorado for diving
- Claimed the 2011 and 2012 Colorado 4A state title on the 1-meter
Why Alexa chose Mizzou:
"I choose Mizzou because I loved the team atmosphere and how welcoming everyone was. Not to mention, all the facilities are amazing!"
SHARLI BRADY | IM | Burlington, Ky.
High School: Randall K Copper High School
Club: Northern Kentucky Clippers
- Has an Olympic trials cut in the 400 IM
- Won Kentucky state titles in the 200 IM (2012 and 2013) and 500 free (2012)
- Earned all-state first team honors in the 200 IM and 500 free in 2013
- Boasts short course best times of 2:00.67 in the 200 IM, 4:17.36 in the 400 IM and 4:47.56 in the 500 free
- Named a 2012-13 Scholastic All-America
Why Sharli chose Mizzou:
"I knew that the University of Missouri was the college I wanted to go to right after my visit. Nowhere made me feel as welcome as Mizzou! I am so excited to be a part of the Swimming and Diving Team and Missouri next year. Go Tigers!"
RACHEL HAYDEN | Sprint Free | Indianapolis, Ind.
High School: North Central High School
Club: Carmel Swim Club
- Placed third in the 50 free and seventh in the 100 free at last year's Indiana state meet
- Took fifth in the 50 free as a sophomore in 2012
- Has short course best times of 22.82 in the 50 free and 50.10 in the 100 free
- Holds long course best times of 26.58 in the 50 free and 57.41 in the 100 free
- Named to the 2012-13 Scholastic All-America team
Why Rachel chose Mizzou:
"I chose Mizzou because the team seemed the most like a family of all the schools I visited. The girls on the team were great, the team was really close and you couldn't ask for better coaches. I am so excited to be a Tiger!"
KENDRA KIESER | Diving | Plano, Texas
High School: Plano Senior High School
Club: Mustangs in the Sun
- At the 2013 USA Diving Age Group National Championships, took fifth on the 3-meter, sixth on the platform and seventh on the 1-meter in the 16-18 Girls group
- Placed second on the 1-meter and sixth on the 3-meter at the 2013 Texas Open Championships
- Finished fourth on the 1-meter at the 2013 Texas 5A State Championships with a school record score of 462.95
- Earned All-America honors on the 1-meter in 2013
Why Kendra chose Mizzou:
"I chose Mizzou just because it felt like home and it felt right. It was the only place where I immediately felt like I was already part of the team. I absolutely loved every person that I met and had so much fun with the team that I could definitely see myself there, training with them and having the time of my life for the next four years. I really felt (Coach Sweeney) was the only one who could get me to where I want to be in and out of the pool."
MADELINE MCKERNAN | Diving | Montgomery, Texas
High School: Montgomery High School
Club: Woodlands Diving Academy
- Earned all-state honorable mention honors on the 1-meter in 2013
- Placed 14th on the 3-meter (16-18 Girls) at the 2013 USA Diving Age Group National Championships
- Took third on the 1-meter (16-18 Girls) at the 2013 USA Diving Summer Junior Region 5 Championships
- Won the 2012 District 19-4A 1-meter title and placed sixth at the state championships
Why Madeline chose Mizzou:
"I chose Mizzou because I loved the team environment and how everyone acted like a family. I also chose Mizzou because they are number one for journalism and because they have an amazing diving program where I feel I can reach my full potential as a diver."
ERIN METZGER-SEYMOUR | Fly / Free | Westminster, Colo.
High School: Ralston Valley High School
Club: North Jeffco Swim Team
- Was the 2013 Colorado 5A State Champion in both the 100 fly (54.91) and 200 free (1:49.92)
- Boasts Olympic trials cuts in the 100m and 200m fly
- Claims best short course times of 54.79 in the 100 fly, 1:59.73 in the 200 fly and 1:48.7 in the 200 free
Why Erin chose Mizzou:
"I choose Mizzou because I was looking for a great program along with a program that I fit well in with the team. When I was on my trip I felt like I was already a part of the team and felt like I was at home. I couldn't be happier with my decision and I can't wait to be there next year!"
HANNAH STEVENS | Back | Lexington, Ohio
High School: Lexington High School
Club: Greater Columbus Swim Team of Ohio
- Claimed both the 100 back and 100 free Ohio Division II State titles as a junior
- Holds the Ohio state record in the 100 back (54.73)
- Named the 2013 Ohio Division II State Championships MVP, based on a point system
- Clocked Olympic trial cuts in both the 100m and 200m back
- Boasts best short course times of 49.73 in the 100 free, 53.77 in the 100 back and 1:56.71 in the 200 back
Why Hannah chose Mizzou:
"I chose Mizzou because of the great team atmosphere and coaches. I also fell in love with the campus."
KIRA ZUBAR | Free | Chasta, Minn.
High School: Eden Prairie High School
Club: Aquajets Swim Team
- Won the 500 free title at the 2011 Minnesota Girls State High School League Class AA Championship
- Placed second in the 500 free and fifth in the 200 free at the 2012 Minnesota State Class AA Championship
- High school teammate of current Tiger freshman Ellie Suek
- Earned 2012 and 2013 Scholastic All-America honors
- Has short course best times of 1:49.84 in the 200 free and 4:52.45 in the 500 free
- Long course best times include 2:06.55 in the 200 free and 4:22.7 in the 500 free
Why Kira Chose Mizzou:
"I knew as soon as I got home from my recruiting trip that I belonged at Mizzou! I wouldn't find the incredible coaching staff, family-like team atmosphere, support staff or facilities anywhere else. I believe the swimming program has everything to allow me succeed in college swimming. Missouri had the right balance between academics and athletics. I can't wait to be a Tiger!"
RYAN BAKER | Distance Free | St. Peter's, Mo.
High School: Francis Howell High School
Club: Rex-Plex Sharks Swim Team
- NISCA All-American in the 500 free
- US Open qualifier
- Won the 2013 Missouri state title in the 500 free (4:28.22), an event he also won in 2011
- Stands as the Region VII Sectional record holder in the 1000 free
- Boasts best times of 4:28.22 in the 500 free, 9:11.47 in the 1000 free and 15:32.03 in the 1650 free
Why Ryan Chose Mizzou:
"I was looking for a college with top notch academics and athletics and I found that in Mizzou. The coaches and the team made me feel like I was already part of the team. I can't wait to be a Tiger!"
ELLIOT CECIL | Diving | Fishers, Ind.
High School: Park Tudor School
Club: Starz Diving club
- Finished eighth on the 3-meter at the 2013 USA Diving Junior National Diving Championships
- Won the 2013 USA Diving Summer Junior Zone B Championships 14-18 Boys 3-meter title
- Claimed first on the 3-meter and second on the 1-meter (16-18 Boys) at the 2013 USA Diving Summer Junior Region 4 Championships
- Placed third at 2013 IHSAA Regionals
- Became the first Park Tudor diver to win an individual sectional championship
Why Elliot chose Mizzou:
"I chose Missouri for a multitude of reasons. Throughout my recruiting process, talking with Jamie Sweeney made me feel like I would be taken care of throughout my college career. And when I went on my recruiting trip, the team was immediately welcoming. It was great to see how close the swimming and diving teams were. Upon learning about the school, I realized that it would fit all my needs academically. Lastly, the campus was beautiful and I just got the feeling that it would be the perfect fit!"
HUNTER FRITTER | Diving | Houston, Texas
High School: Klein High School
Club: Cougar Diving Club
- Finished seventh on the 16-18 Boys platform at the 2013 USA Diving Junior National Diving Championships
- Won the 2013 USA Diving Age Group Diving Championships 16-18 Boys 1-meter title and placed second on the 3-meter
- Named a 2012-13 NISCA/Speedo Boys All-American on the 1-meter as a junior
- Placed fourth on the 1-meter at the 2013 Texas 5A High School State Championships
Why Hunter chose Mizzou:
"When I came to Mizzou I was welcomed by the coolest team I'd ever met, and I found that they pushed themselves and each other. Jamie (Sweeney) was the kind of guy I could hang out with and really be myself around, and I could see him turning me into a great athlete along with a better person. The pool is incredibly nice and the campus is right there with it. I know I'm going to get a great education and a great start towards my future. Mizzou felt like my home already."
JORDY GROTERS | Breast / Free | Aruba
High School: University School (Fla.)
Club: Davie Nadadores (Fla.)
- Won the 2013 Florida 1A state titles in the 50 free and 100 breast
- Represented Aruba at the 2013 Junior World Championships in Dubai
- Holds Aruba National Open Records in both the 100 and 200 breaststroke
- Placed fourth in the 100 breast and sixth in the 100 free and 200 breast at the 2013 South American Junior Championships
- Has best short course times of 20.46 in the 50 free, 54.54 in the 100 breast and 2:01.38 in the 200 breast
Why Jordy chose Mizzou:
"I chose Mizzou because of the amazing atmosphere that there on the pool deck with the team and coaches! I was very interested in the amazing breaststroke talent there, but the team is what made me really want to go there."
DILLON LOVE | Back / Free | Charlotte, N.C.
Previous School: LSU
High School: Mallard Creek High School
Noteworthy Accolades (at LSU):
- Placed 19th in the 200 back (1:45.67) at the 2013 SEC Championships
- Ranks sixth all-time at LSU in the 200 back (1:45.67), ninth in the 100 back (48.82) and 10th in the 200 free (1:38.16)
- Also a part of LSU's 800 free relay team (6:25.67) that ranks first all-time at the school
- As a freshman, took 12th in the 200 back (1:46.74) at the 2012 SEC Championships
Noteworthy Accolades (Prep):
- Earned All-America honors in the 100 back in 2010
- Concluded his high school career with multiple program records
- Named a Scholastic All-American
ZACH ROGERS | Free / Back | Chesterfield, Mo.
High School: Parkway Central High School
Club: Parkway Swim Club
- Tied for the 2013 Missouri state 200 free title (1:41.07)
- Also finished second in the 100 back (50.66) at the 2013 Missouri state meet
- As a junior, took fourth in both the 100 free and 200 free at the 2012 Missouri state meet
- Has best times of 1:41.07 in the 200 free, 50.66 in the 100 back and 1:51.45 in the 200 back.
Why Zach chose Mizzou:
"I chose Mizzou because I got along really well with the team, and the campus is awesome."
CARTER WALLACE | IM | West Columbia, Texas
High School: Angleton High School
Club: Houston Cougar Swim Club
- Placed second in the 200 IM (1:54.31) and fourth in the 500 free (4:39.49) at the 2013 Texas 4A State Championships
- Earned 2013 all-state honors in the 200 IM, 500 free and 200 free relay
- Won the 200 IM and 500 free at the 2013 District 26-4A Swimming Championships
- Has short course best times of 1:51.68 (200 IM) and 3:59.01 (400 IM)
- Long course best times of 2:10.54 in the 200 IM and 4:36.82 in the 400 IM
Why Carter chose Mizzou:
"I chose Mizzou due to the reputation of the coaching staff, the quality of the academic and athletic facilities, and finally and most importantly the cohesiveness of the team. My visit to the campus was truly an eye opener. The beautiful scenery, proximity of the dorms to the athletic facilities and academic buildings is a definite plus. My parents are very pleased with the academic support I will have as a student-athlete. All in all, I believe the University of Missouri is an ideal fit for me both academically and athletically. I am very excited about the next four years of my life as a Mizzou Tiger!"
Clark Thomas Wins 3-Meter at USA Diving...
Mizzou diver Clark Thomas earned a spot at August's 2014 AT&T USA Diving National Championships...
Mizzou Lands 18 on CSCAA Scholar All-America Teams
Eighteen members of the Mizzou swimming and diving program were named Scholar All-Americas by the...
Mizzou Swimmers Impress at Arena Grand Prix
Four current Mizzou swimmers, one incoming freshman and a former Tiger wrapped up competition at ...
Tiger Swimmers Set to Participate at Arena...
Four current Mizzou swimmers, as well as one incoming Tiger and one former swimmer are set to...
Men's Swimming and Diving Places Six on SEC...
The Mizzou men's swimming and diving team placed six student-athletes on the 2014 Winter...
Sweeney, Three Tigers Earn SEC Honors
Mizzou Diving Head Coach Jamie Sweeney was named the Southeastern Conference Co-Men's Diving...
Bouchard, Darragh Named to Canada's Pan Pac...
Mizzou swimming junior Mack Darragh and former Tiger Dominique Bouchard were named to the 2014...
Reedy Wins Two Events at USA Diving Zone C...
Mizzou diver Lauren Reedy swept the 3-meter and 3-meter synchro events on Friday, July 18 at the ...
Official StoreOfficial Online
AUCTIONSOfficial Mobile APP