Aug. 8, 2014
Head Coach Gary Pinkel was pleased to see his team in pads, but wasn't real thrilled about the cool weather conditions.
"First day in full pads, so that's always a little different for everybody," said Pinkel. "It's remarkably comfortable out here weather-wise, but you don't really want it that way because our first three games are going to be played between 11 in the morning and 2:30 in the afternoon, so we have to deal with that. Hopefully we'll get some warm weather here so that we can get prepared the right way. But, overall, we did a lot of good things today," he said.
When full pads come on, the competition ramps up in practice, as each period during the day gets scored, pitting the offense and the defense against each other. At the end of the day, whichever side wins more periods wins the day, and gets to wear black jerseys the following day.
Friday's practice went down to the wire, with the defense pulling out a close win that was secured with a solid goal-line stand late in the day. There were plenty of highlights on both sides, here were just a few from 11-on-11 scrimmaging:
Don't forget to come see the Tiger Deck on Sunday's Fan Day! Player tent lineups are set, we'll put those out this PM pic.twitter.com/Jx8EqpF97u— Chad Moller (@ChadMo1) August 8, 2014
- With the reserves going against each other, QB Corbin Berkstresser found TB Tyler Hunt in the flat for a nice gain of around 15 yards, and then spotted TE Clayton Echard in a sit-down route over the middle for another 8-10 yards, as Echard made a nice adjustment to the ball to secure the catch...
- When the #1 units went at it, DT Lucas Vincent got things started by getting pressure in the backfield and knocking down a pass attempt by QB Maty Mauk. Shortly after that, Mauk tried to check down a pass to TB Russell Hansbrough, but a host of defenders were there in pursuit to lock Hansbrough down for no gain, with CB John Gibson, LB Kentrell Brothers and LB Michael Scherer leading the way...
- Brothers continued his solid early play on an ensuing snap when he made a nice run fit to nail Hansbrough for no gain on a run attempt off guard...
- Later in the day, red zone scrimmaging took place, and LB Donavin Newsome made a nice diving pass break up over the middle on a pass that looked like it would be completed from QB Eddie Printz to Echard. Shortly after that, DE Rickey Hatley blew up a run attempt in the backfield for a loss of about five yards, when he bull-rushed his blocker and grabbed TB Miles Drummond almost instantly after Drummond took the hand off...
- Later on, when the #1 units took the field, Mauk hit TB Marcus Murphy for a five-yard gain, and Hansbrough got around the right edge for a 14-yard touchdown run on a nicely-blocked play. Right after that, CB Aarion Penton crashed from the edge to force a throwaway by Mauk that might have been ruled a touch sack...
- Rookie tail backs Ish Witter and Trevon Walters both got some good action with the reserves later on. Witter took a handoff and scooted around the right edge for a gain of around 15 yards, and then on the next play, he went off right tackle and fought through would-be tacklers to post a touchdown from about three yards out...
- Hansbrough returned to the field with the #1 offense and got loose for another nice gain around the left edge, but the defense held on for the win on the final play when Scherer stopped Hunt on a swing pass at the three-yard line to end the series...
On the injury front, Coach Pinkel indicated that safety Cortland Browning is dealing with a shoulder sprain that kept him out of full contact today, and he'll be day-to-day going forward, as are OL Connor McGovern (pectoral muscle) and FS Braylon Webb (shoulder). Also, TB Morgan Steward tweaked his hip and will be evaluated further.
The Tigers will have an afternoon full of meetings before they return to the practice field Saturday morning in full pads. Stay tuned to www.MUTigers.com for continuing exclusive coverage of fall camp 2014!
Ray, Murphy Earn 1st-Team All-SEC Honors from...
The Southeastern Conference released its coaches' 2014 All-Southeastern Conference football team ...
Ray Named AP's SEC Defensive Player of Year
Another year of Mizzou Football, another defensive player of the year honor for a Tiger. For the...
Mizzou Chosen for Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl
The University of Missouri has accepted an invitation for its football team to play in the...
No. 1 Alabama Wins SEC Title, 42-13
Jimmie Hunt's career-high 169 receiving yards weren't enough to overcome a diverse offensive...
Gameday FootBlog: #SECATL
The Tigers and Crimson Tide kick off at 3 p.m. CT on CBS. Come join us on the blog!
SEC Championship Central
In just their third year in the Southeastern Conference, the No. 13/14 Missouri Tigers (10-2...
SEC Championship Press Conference
First of all, I'd like to just say a comment about Commissioner Slive. I've been in the league...
Mizzou's Ray Named Finalist for Hendricks Award
Mizzou junior defensive end Shane Ray (Kansas City, Mo.) has been named a finalist for the 2014...
Official StoreOfficial Online
AUCTIONSOfficial Mobile APP