Aug. 8, 2014
Head Coach Gary Pinkel was pleased to see his team in pads, but wasn't real thrilled about the cool weather conditions.
"First day in full pads, so that's always a little different for everybody," said Pinkel. "It's remarkably comfortable out here weather-wise, but you don't really want it that way because our first three games are going to be played between 11 in the morning and 2:30 in the afternoon, so we have to deal with that. Hopefully we'll get some warm weather here so that we can get prepared the right way. But, overall, we did a lot of good things today," he said.
When full pads come on, the competition ramps up in practice, as each period during the day gets scored, pitting the offense and the defense against each other. At the end of the day, whichever side wins more periods wins the day, and gets to wear black jerseys the following day.
Friday's practice went down to the wire, with the defense pulling out a close win that was secured with a solid goal-line stand late in the day. There were plenty of highlights on both sides, here were just a few from 11-on-11 scrimmaging:
Don't forget to come see the Tiger Deck on Sunday's Fan Day! Player tent lineups are set, we'll put those out this PM pic.twitter.com/Jx8EqpF97u— Chad Moller (@ChadMo1) August 8, 2014
- With the reserves going against each other, QB Corbin Berkstresser found TB Tyler Hunt in the flat for a nice gain of around 15 yards, and then spotted TE Clayton Echard in a sit-down route over the middle for another 8-10 yards, as Echard made a nice adjustment to the ball to secure the catch...
- When the #1 units went at it, DT Lucas Vincent got things started by getting pressure in the backfield and knocking down a pass attempt by QB Maty Mauk. Shortly after that, Mauk tried to check down a pass to TB Russell Hansbrough, but a host of defenders were there in pursuit to lock Hansbrough down for no gain, with CB John Gibson, LB Kentrell Brothers and LB Michael Scherer leading the way...
- Brothers continued his solid early play on an ensuing snap when he made a nice run fit to nail Hansbrough for no gain on a run attempt off guard...
- Later in the day, red zone scrimmaging took place, and LB Donavin Newsome made a nice diving pass break up over the middle on a pass that looked like it would be completed from QB Eddie Printz to Echard. Shortly after that, DE Rickey Hatley blew up a run attempt in the backfield for a loss of about five yards, when he bull-rushed his blocker and grabbed TB Miles Drummond almost instantly after Drummond took the hand off...
- Later on, when the #1 units took the field, Mauk hit TB Marcus Murphy for a five-yard gain, and Hansbrough got around the right edge for a 14-yard touchdown run on a nicely-blocked play. Right after that, CB Aarion Penton crashed from the edge to force a throwaway by Mauk that might have been ruled a touch sack...
- Rookie tail backs Ish Witter and Trevon Walters both got some good action with the reserves later on. Witter took a handoff and scooted around the right edge for a gain of around 15 yards, and then on the next play, he went off right tackle and fought through would-be tacklers to post a touchdown from about three yards out...
- Hansbrough returned to the field with the #1 offense and got loose for another nice gain around the left edge, but the defense held on for the win on the final play when Scherer stopped Hunt on a swing pass at the three-yard line to end the series...
On the injury front, Coach Pinkel indicated that safety Cortland Browning is dealing with a shoulder sprain that kept him out of full contact today, and he'll be day-to-day going forward, as are OL Connor McGovern (pectoral muscle) and FS Braylon Webb (shoulder). Also, TB Morgan Steward tweaked his hip and will be evaluated further.
The Tigers will have an afternoon full of meetings before they return to the practice field Saturday morning in full pads. Stay tuned to www.MUTigers.com for continuing exclusive coverage of fall camp 2014!
Mizzou Football Media Day Quotes - Sept. 22
Each Monday afternoon, head coach Gary Pinkel and Mizzou football players address the media at...
Late Score Sends No. 18 Mizzou to 31-27 Defeat
D'Angelo Roberts scored on a 3-yard run with 22 seconds left to lift Indiana to a 31-27 win over ...
Gameday FootBlog: #IUvsMIZZ
The 18th-ranked Missouri Tigers (3-0) wrap up the non-conference portion of their schedule...
Morse Named Senior CLASS Award Candidate
Senior offensive lineman Mitch Morse (Austin, Texas) has been selected as a candidate for the...
Mizzou-UCONN Agree to Home-and-Home Football...
Mizzou and UConn have finalized an agreement to play a home-and-home football series between the ...
Mizzou Set to Host Indiana on Family Weekend
The No. 18 Mizzou (3-0) closes out its 2014 non-conference season Saturday as they host Indiana (...
Mizzou Football Media Day Quotes - Sept. 15
Each Monday, head coach Gary Pinkel and players address the media at the MATC
Mauk's Four TD's Lead Tigers to 38-10 Win Over UCF
A slow start set up for a quick finish for No. 20 Missouri on Saturday. Maty Mauk threw four more...
Official StoreOfficial Online
AUCTIONSOfficial Mobile APP