Nov. 20, 2011
24/25 University of Missouri Tigers (3-0) vs. University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish (4-0)
Tip-Off: 6:30 p.m.
Arena: Sprint Center (18,758)
TV: ESPN2 (Dan Shulman - Play by Play / Dick Vitale - Analyst)
Radio: Tiger Radio Network (Mike Kelly - Play by Play / Gary Link - Analyst)
Rankings: MU: #24 (AP), #25 (ESPN/USA Today Coaches)
Series: Missouri leads 6-2 (Last meeting: MU 64, ND 56; Jan. 12, 1995)
Missouri: Frank Haith (Elon `88); 132-101 overall (8th); 3-0 at Mizzou (1st season)
Notre Dame: Mike Brey (George Washington `82); 242-120 at UND (12th season)
- The Tigers will face off against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish Monday night at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo., in the championship round of the Progressive CBE Classic ... Tonight is the ninth-ever matchup between the two teams, with Mizzou ahead in the all-time series 6-2 ... The two clubs last met on Jan. 12, 1995 in Columbia, Mo., when the Tigers earned a 64-54 victory.
- Mizzou is making a record fourth appearance in the CBE Classic (2001, 2004 and 2007), which was previously known as the Guardians Classic ... The Tigers won the event in 2001 ... Thursday's win over Niagara improved MU's all-time wins record in the event to 11 ... Mizzou now owns an 11-3 all-time mark in the Classic.
- The CBE Classic is a homecoming for four different Tigers who call Kansas City home ... Seniors Marcus Denmon, Steve Moore and Jarrett Sutton and junior Michael Dixon all hail from the City of Fountains.
- Mizzou has been hot from 3-point land the last two games, as the team has shot 52.3 (23-of-44) percent from long distance during the span ... The 23 threes over a two-game span was the most for the Tigers since they made 31 in consecutive games in Dec. 2009 ... Overall on the season, the Tigers are shooting 48.3 percent, which leads the Big 12 ... Senior Kim English is doing most of the damage from beyond the arc, as he is sporting a 61.9 (13-of-21) 3-point field goal shooting percentage, which is tops among Big 12 players with at least 10 attempts.
- Sophomore Phil Pressey leads the Big 12 with 3.3 steals per contest ... The guard has nabbed five steals in the last two contests ... over his last five games dating back to last season, Pressey is averaging 5.3 steals per contest.
- Missouri moved up to #24 in the AP Top 25 poll last week and remained #25 in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll. The Tigers entered 2010-11 ranked #25 in both polls to start the year... Last season marked the first year that the Tigers were ranked in the preseason since 2003-04 ... Missouri opened the year #5 in 2003-04, the highest preseason ranking in school history.
Mizzou Quick Hitters
- Mizzou continues play in the Progressive CBE Classic on Tuesday and will face Cal or Georgia in either the championship (9:30 p.m.) or consolation game (6:45 p.m.).
- Mizzou looks to improve to 4-0 for the second consecutive season and the 31st time overall.
- The Tigers are shooting an impressive 48.3 percent from behind the arc in their first three games, which ranks second among Big 12 Conference schools.
- Senior Kim English has made 13 treys in MU's first three games this season, which is the most ever by a Tiger in the first three games ... The previous record for treys in the opening three games was 12, set by Paul O'Liney in 1994-95.
- After swiping just seven steals in the season opener, the Tigers nabbed 14 against Mercer and 13 against Niagara to raise their average to 11.3 per contest ... That mark ranks second in the Big 12 ... Sophomore Phil Pressey leads the way with 3.3 steals per game to pace the conference.
- Senior Marcus Denmon scored 22 points against Niagara on Nov. 17, his second 20-point outing in MU's first three games ... Dating back to last season, the preseason All-American has reached the mark four times in his last six games and scored at least 19 points in seven of his last nine contests.
- Three different Tigers rank in the top 10 in field goal percentage among Big 12 players, in games played through Nov. 19 ... Mizzou is the only school to at least two in that list, nevermind three ... Senior Ricardo Ratliffe ranks second at 60.0 percent, English is sixth at 51.7 percent and Denmon ranks tied for ninth at 48.6 percent.
- English and Denmon are also two of the Big 12's best 3-point shooters, as English ranks fourth (61.9 percent) and Denmon ranks tied for seventh (50.0 percent) ... Most impressive is that the duo are the only players in the top seven with at least 10 attempts, as English has attempted 21 and Denmon 16.
- Seniors Marcus Denmon and Kim English continue to move up Missouri's all-time scoring list ... Denmon now has 1,210 in his career, which puts him 25th all-time at Mizzou ... Denmon needs 21 more points to tie Leo Lyons for 24th ... English stands at 1,114 points, good for 31st place ... The two surpassed the 1,000 point mark in 2010-11.
- Sophomore Phil Pressey was fantastic on the offensive end against Mercer on Nov. 14 ... The guard posted a career high 22 points after shooting 6-of-11 from the floor, 3-of-6 from behind the arc and 7-of-8 from the charity stripe ... The total bested his previous high of 17 set at Kansas last season.
- Missouri has typically played some tough schedules over the years and that trend continues in 2011-12 ... After the release of the preseason polls, Mizzou will have 11 games against teams ranked receiving votes in the preseason AP top 25 and ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll... Included in that list are #12 Baylor, #13 Kansas, #19/20 Texas A&M, #24 California, Texas, Illinois, and Notre Dame.
- Senior Laurence Bowers will be forced to redshirt the 2011-12 season after suffering a season-ending knee injury (ACL) in October ... Bowers averaged 11.6 points, 6.1 rebounds and 1.8 blocks a year ago.
- This year's seniors mark the winningest class in Missouri Basketball program history...The team's 77 wins over the last three seasons mark the most in a three-year stretch at Mizzou...The Tiger clubs from 1980-83 and 1988-91 won 75 games over a three-year stretch ... The class now has a record of 80-29.
- The Tigers recorded 23+ wins in each of the last three campaigns for the first time in program history...Mizzou won 31 games in 2008-09 and went 23-11 in 2009-10 and 2010-11.
- Missouri recorded it's 1,500th win in program history last season when the the Tigers triumphed over Texas Tech 88-84 in the Big 12 Tournament...Mizzou finished the season 23-11 overall, 1,500-1,039 all-time.
Tigers Set to Host Florida for Blackout Game on...
Mizzou Men's Basketball (7-20, 1-13) returns home to Mizzou Arena to host Florida (13-14, 6-8) on...
Missouri Falls at Vanderbilt, 76-53
Motaque Gill-Caesar led the Tigers with 11 points, but it wasn't enough as Missouri fell to...
Tigers Set to Take Next Trip to Vanderbilt for ...
Mizzou Men's Basketball (7-19, 1-12) heads to Nashville, Tenn., to take on Vanderbilt on Saturday...
Mizzou Falls to No. 18 Arkansas, 84-69
Johnathan Williams III and Tramaine Isabell led the Tigers with 13 points each. The team will...
Mizzou To Participate in 2015 CBE Hall of Fame ...
Mizzou Men's Basketball will join North Carolina, Kansas State and Northwestern for the...
Mizzou Starts Road Swing at Arkansas on Wednesday
Mizzou Men's Basketball (7-18, 1-11) takes to the road for an away SEC game at Arkansas (Feb. 18,...
Tigers Nearly There Against Mississippi State, ...
The Bulldogs escaped Mizzou Arena with a 77-74 result on Saturday, using fouls and the free throw...
Tigers and Mississippi State to Clash on...
Mizzou Men's Basketball (7-17, 1-10) returns home to take on Mississippi State on Saturday, Feb. ...
Official StoreOfficial Online
AUCTIONSOfficial Mobile APP