March 17, 2014
|Postseason NIT: #2 Missouri (22-11, 9-9 SEC) vs. #7 Davison (20-12, 15-1 SoCon)|
|When||March 18, 2014 | 8 p.m. CT|
|Location||Columbia, Mo. | Mizzou Arena|
|TV||ESPN2 (Bob Wischusen, Malcolm Huckaby)|
|Radio||Tiger Radio Network (Affiliate List)|
|Online Coverage||WatchESPN | Listen | Live Stats | Mobile Stats|
|Printable Game Notes||Missouri | Davidson | NIT Digital Program|
|Season Stats||Missouri | Davidson|
|Series History||4th Meeting; Davidson leads, 2-1|
|Last Meeting||Mizzou won 81-75 in Columbia, on Nov. 19, 2006|
|Streak||Mizzou - 1|
|Social Media||@MizzouHoops, @mutigersdotcom | Facebook | Mizzou Network|
- Mizzou Basketball heads into postseason play on Tuesday as the Tigers host the Davidson Wildcats in the first round of the 2014 National Invitation Tournament … Mizzou Basketball is the No. 2 seed in the Minneapolis Region … The Minnesota Golden Gophers are the region’s top-seeded club … The winner of Tuesday’s game will face either No. 3-seeded Southern Miss or No. 6-seeded Toledo … Second round games will be played March 20-24.
- Mizzou is in postseason play for the sixth consecutive season … The Tigers last played in the NIT after the 2004-05 season … Mizzou fell to DePaul, 75-70, at Mizzou Arena … The Tigers are 1-7 all-time in the NIT and their lone win came in 1996.
- Head Coach Frank Haith is a North Carolina native and the Tigers will be facing their second team from the “Tar Heel” state this year … Mizzou won, 68-64, at NCAA Tournament at-large qualifier, North Carolina State, on Dec. 28 in Raleigh … Missouri finished the season 4-4 vs. NCAA Tournament teams and 3-4 vs. programs in the NIT.
- Missouri is 1-2 all-time against Davidson and last played the Wildcats during the 2006-07 season … Missouri earned an 81-75 win over the Wildcats … Matt Lawrence scored 22 points to lead the way for Missouri … Stephen Curry had 16 points and 10 turnovers for Davidson … That was Curry’s freshman season … He entered the game averaging 22.5 points per contest and is now an NBA All-Star with Golden State.
- Jabari Brown and Jordan Clarkson were recently named to the All-SEC Team by the league coaches … Brown was a first team pick, while Clarkson earned second team honors.
- Frank Haith became the first coach in Mizzou history with three consecutive 20-win seasons to open his Tiger tenure … Norm Stewart, Mike Anderson, Quin Snyder and now Haith are the lone coaches at Mizzou with three straight 20-win seasons and overall, the Tigers have topped 20 wins for six consecutive years, a school record … Mizzou has won 152 games over that six-year stretch.
- Haith is after his 200th career win as a head coach … The third-year sideline boss is a very good 70-27 at Missouri and is 199-138 all-time.
- Jabari Brown is quickly approaching 1,000 career points as a Tiger … He has 1,009 career points overall (including 12 points in two games at Oregon) and 997 have come in a Tiger uniform in just 58 career games dating back to Dec. 17 of last season … Brown is averaging 17.2 points over his MU career and could become the first Tiger to score 1,000 points in just two seasons since the Junkyard Dog, DeMarre Carroll (1,046 points in 70 career games).
- Brown (19.8 ppg) and Jordan Clarkson (17.7) are the No. 5 scoring tandem in college basketball this season, combining for 37.5 points per outing … Brown and Clarkson trail Delaware’s Devon Saddler (19.7) and Davon Usher (19.4), VMI’s QJ Peterson (19.4) and D.J. Covington (18.7), SEMO’s Tyler Stone (19.3) and Jarekious Bradley (19.0) and Louisiana-Lafayette’s Elfrid Payton (19.1) and Shawn Long (18.9).
Mizzou Basketball Cliffs:
- Missouri goes searching for its 23rd win of the season on Tuesday as the Tigers host the Davidson Wildcats at Mizzou Arena in the opening round of the National Invitation Tournament.
- The Tigers are hosting an NIT game for the first time since 2005 and for just the second time in Mizzou Arena history.
- The NIT can be a very good building block for the future and the Tigers are getting improved play from their newcomers of late … At the SEC Tournament the Tigers had a pair of freshmen, Johnathan Williams (8.5 rpg) and Torren Jones (6.5 rpg), rank among the Top 12 rebounders in the tournament … Jones averaged more than one rebound every two minutes on the court (13 boards in 23 total minutes) and Williams was fifth overall with 8.5 rebounds per game … Williams was also the top offensive rebounder (4.0 off boards per game) in Atlanta.
- Jones has scored 44 points over his last 11 games, including a career high eight points in wins against Mississippi State and Tennessee … Prior to his last 11 contests, Jones had scored just eight total points in the season’s first 21 games.
- Williams recently logged a terrific all-around game vs. Texas A&M, producing an 11-point, 15-rebound double-double to go with four assists.
- Missouri has been in a number of tight ball games this season … Of the club’s last 26 games, 21 have been decided by 10 points or less … The 22 total games decided by 10 points or less this year are the most since the 2004-05 season (22).
- Mizzou continues to lead the Southeastern Conference in free throw shooting, hitting 74.2 percent on the year and was an improved 75.9 percent during league play … The Tigers have made 656 total free throws this season, topping 600 makes for just the sixth time in program history and for the first time since 1995-96 … The 656 makes are No. 3 all-time at Mizzou, just 12 off the school record, 667 makes in 1988-89.
- Mizzou made 40 free throws in the win over A&M, tying its 40 makes in the 1997 Big 12 Tournament win over Oklahoma … That mark is tied for No. 2 in school history behind the 42 makes against UTEP on Dec. 8, 1973.
- Missouri’s 19.9 free throw makes per game ranks No. 11 nationally and No. 2 in the SEC behind Kentucky (20.5).
- Jabari Brown (198), Jordan Clarkson (156) and Earnest Ross (140) have each surpassed 100 free throw makes this year … The Tigers haven’t had three players with 100 makes in a season since 1995-96.
- Mizzou adjusted its starting lineup for the first time this year in the SEC Tournament last week … Junior Keanau Post earned his first career starts vs. Texas A&M and No. 1 Florida … Sophomore Ryan Rosburg came off the bench.
- Jabari Brown has reached double-digits in 32-of-33 games this season … Brown has also scored 20 or more points in 18 games this season, including 12 during SEC play … His 18 20-point games in 2013-14 are the most since Paul O’Liney in the 1994-95 season (18) … Prior to that, Anthony Peeler notched 20 20+ point games in the 1991-92 season.
- Missouri has had at least one player score 20 (or more) points in 25-of-33 games this season and has enjoyed multiple 20-point scorers 10 times, including seven of its last 14 games … Jabari Brown has logged 20 points in 13 of his last 18 contests, including a career high 33 points vs. Kentucky and more recently, 26 vs. Texas A&M in Atlanta … Brown has topped 20 points 23 times in his career and Mizzou is 18-5 in those contests.
- The Tigers have a total of 38 20-point games this season, all coming from Brown (18), Clarkson (14) and Ross (6) … Missouri had a player top 20 points 25 times all of last season.
- Missouri recorded a rare ACC road win on Dec. 28 at N.C. State … Although the Tigers haven’t played many road games in ACC territory, the win in Raleigh was the second in ACC country in program history … Mizzou won 87-73 at Maryland on Jan. 24, 1989 … It was the club’s first non-league road win since a 75-68 win at Old Dominion on Dec. 30, 2011.
- Head Coach Frank Haith will coach his 328th career game overall on Tuesday and is 70-27 in three seasons at Mizzou … Haith was the fastest coach in school history to 50 wins and has just one starter back for the second consecutive campaign.
- Haith is quickly approaching his 200th career victory … He has 199 career wins heading into Tuesdays’ game.
- Johnathan Williams, III (6.5 rpg) is on pace to become the first Tiger freshman to lead the team in rebounding since Linas Kleiza (8.4) in 2003-04 … Williams recently logged a 15-rebound effort against Texas A&M in the SEC Tournament and is No. 10 in the SEC in rebounding.
- Mizzou plays in the friendly confines of Mizzou Arena where the club is 48-3 since 2011-12 and went a perfect 17-0 at home last season.
- Mizzou boasts a 152-23 (.869) record at home since the building opened in 2004-05 … The Tigers are also 99-6 at home since 2008-09, amounting to an incredible .944 winning percentage.
- Non-conference opponents have not enjoyed their stops in Columbia, Mo., over the last few seasons and the Tigers have raced to an incredible 81 consecutive wins at home vs. non-league opposition since the end of the 2005-06 campaign … Missouri’s last non-conference loss at home came vs. Sam Houston State in the 2005 Preseason NIT, but since then, Missouri has gone nearly eight full seasons without a loss.
- That non-conference win streak is No. 2 nationally behind Duke … Duke has won 109 consecutive non-ACC games at home.
- Jordan Clarkson recorded the first 30-point game of the SEC season on Nov. 12 and logged the 26th 30-point game during Missouri’s SEC / Big 12 eras … Clarkson needed just 18 shots to reach 31 points (12-of-18 FGs), and is one of just two Tigers during the two eras to have 30+ points, 5+ assists and zero turnovers … Clarence Gilbert had a ridiculous 43 points, nine assists and zero turnovers vs. Iowa State in a four overtime win on Jan. 13, 2001.
- Head Coach Frank Haith is in his third season at Missouri and has led the Tigers to their third consecutive 20-win campaign … Only Norm Stewart, Quin Snyder and Mike Anderson have enjoyed three 20-win seasons at Mizzou … Stewart of course led the way with 17 20-win campaigns … Haith, Anderson and Snyder now each had three.
- Missouri has won at historic levels over the last five seasons … In fact the Tigers have won 22+ games each of the last six seasons.
- The six consecutive 20-win seasons is a school record.
- Mizzou Arena has been the site of two undefeated home seasons in its history … Missouri was 18-0 in 2008-09 and was 17-0 at home last season … Hearnes Center, the former home of Missouri Basketball, was the site of five undefeated home campaigns (1974-75, 1980-81, 1988-89, 1989-90 and 1993-94).
- Since 2006-07 (72-0) the club’s margin of victory has been 25.8 points in those non-league home tilts.
- Mizzou has three transfers sitting out this season … Zach Price transferred from Louisville, where the 6-foot-10 forward was a member of the Cardinals’ NCAA National Championship team … Deuce Bello transferred from Baylor … Both will be classified as redshirt juniors next season … Most recently the Tigers added Cam Biedscheid from Notre Dame at semester break.
- Mizzou will be on national television a school-record 21 times this season … That number has grown each of Mizzou’s two years in the SEC … The Tigers were on national TV 18 times last season, which was also a school record.
- > Mizzou was picked fifth in the Southeastern Conference’s preseason media poll … Kentucky was the projected league champion.
SEC Tournament Up Next for Youthful Mizzou Squad
Mizzou Men's Basketball (9-22, 3-15) heads to its third appearance at the SEC Tournament with a...
Mizzou's Keanau Post Named to 2015 SEC...
Mizzou senior forward Keanau Post was chosen to the team, representing the Tigers after another...
Missouri Drops Contest to Mississippi State, 52-43
Craig Sword had a game-high 15 points to lead Mississippi State to a 52-43 victory over Missouri ...
Tigers Finish Conference Schedule at...
Mizzou Men's Basketball (9-21, 3-14) closes its conference schedule at Mississippi State on...
Shamburger Lifts Mizzou Past Auburn on Senior...
Senior guard Keith Shamburger (Los Angeles, Calif.) hit a go-ahead jumper with 10.9 seconds...
Senior Night Next for Mizzou, Facing Auburn at ...
Mizzou Men's Basketball (8-21, 2-14) hosts its Senior Night on Tuesday, March 3, against Auburn, ...
Missouri Falls to Georgia 68-44 in Athens
Johnathan Williams III and Namon Wright scored 10 points each, but Georgia pulled out with a...
Early Saturday Matchup at Georgia Up Next for...
Mizzou Men's Basketball (8-20, 2-13) next hits the road for Georgia, facing the Bulldogs at 11 a....
Official StoreOfficial Online
AUCTIONSOfficial Mobile APP