Nov. 13, 2012
Box Score |
AP Photo Gallery |
Recap | Box Score | AP Photo Gallery | Photo Gallery
Alcorn State at Missouri – Mizzou Arena, Columbia, Mo. (Nov. 13, 2012)
- Tonight’s game marks the second meeting between Mizzou and Alcorn State. The first encounter took place on Dec. 1, 1981 – a game the Tigers won 82-51.
- Mizzou stuck to the same starting five (Pressey, Bell, Ross, Bowers, Oriakhi) who guided them to victory in Saturday’s win over SIU-Edwardsville.
- Mizzou’s 23.1% first half field goal percentage was the lowest, at home, under Frank Haith, however the Tigers rallied to 58.6 percent from the floor in the second half and are shooting 59 percent from the floor in the second half this season.
- Alcorn State’s 23 first half points were the fewest by a visiting team since Texas A&M on Jan, 16th, 2012.
- Tonight’s win represents the 67th consecutive Tiger victory over a non-conference opponent at home and extends Coach Frank Haith’s consecutive win streak over non-conference opponents to 24.
- Tonight’s win marks the seventh consecutive season that Mizzou has started the season 2-0.
- Making only his second start in 2 years, after sitting out last season, Earnest Ross recorded 17 points (on 8-10 shooting), 10 rebounds and 3 assists. All career highs in a Mizzou jersey.
- Laurence Bowers continued his successful return from injury scoring 14 points, including 3 of 4 from behind the arc (a career high). Bowers has been outstanding in the second half of games this season, scoring 32 of his 34 points in the final 20 minutes of games against SIUE (18) and Alcorn State (14).
- The Tigers had four scorers in double digits against Alcorn State: Bowers (14), Oriakhi (12), Pressey (21) and Ross (17).
- The 37-point margin of victory is the most since last season’ defeat of Kennesaw State by the same margin.
- Freshmen Negus Webster-Chan and Stefan Jankovic (former high school teammates) continued their impressive start the campaign, combining for 13 points and 16 rebounds. Webster-Chan recorded a career high 11 boards.
- Missouri had two players with point-rebound double-doubles. Earnest Ross had 17 points and 10 rebounds and Alex Oriakhi had 12 points and 10 rebounds. It was the first time for two Mizzou Tigers to record double-doubles since Jan. 5, 2011, vs. North Alabama (Bowers and Kreklow).
- SEC preseason Player of the Year Phil Pressey paced the Tigers in scoring with 21 points. Pressey leads the club through two games with 20.0 points and 5.5 dimes per game.
- The Tigers again showed off their depth, with 12 players recording game action.
- The attendance this evening was 8,013, making for a two game combined total of 18,067 to start the season.