Simmons Field at Taylor Stadium is being resurfaced.
Aug. 6, 2012
COLUMBIA, Mo. - As the Mizzou baseball transitions to the SEC for the 2012-13 academic year, the Mizzou department of athletics is busy giving Simmons Field at Taylor Stadium a makeover as the field is in the process of being resurfaced. After having Kentucky Bluegrass on the field for years, Mizzou turf manager Josh McPherson and the baseball staff have been busy installing a new type of Bermuda grass called Latitude 36, the first of many changes with the resurfacing project.
The Latitude 36 grass will match the current dark green look that has donned the field at Taylor Stadium for the past several seasons. In addition to adding the Latitude 36, there are several other changes that fans will notice at Taylor Stadium next season. The additional changes are listed below.
- The grass on the infield, sidelines and the strip around the back edge of the infield dirt has been removed.
- The sand has been re-grated.
- The natural soil on the sidelines has been replaced with sand, which makes the entire field sand-based.
- New irrigation heads are being installed in the infield and outfield and old sprinkler heads are being moved to cover more area.
- The laying of the Latitude 36 sod will begin on Tuesday (Aug. 7), beginning with the infield and sidelines.
- The outfield will be sprigged with the Latitude 36 on Wednesday (Aug. 8).
- The entire field will be ready for play within three weeks.
- The turf collar around the home plate area will be replaced following Mizzou's fall practice schedule.
In addition, McPherson and his staff have been recognized for their work with Simmons Field in the past as this year's resurfacing project is in good hands. In fact, McPherson and his staff were recognized by the Sports Turf Managers Association last November as Simmons Field was named College/University Level Baseball Field of the Year.
For all the latest on Mizzou baseball, stay tuned to MUTigers.com and follow the team on twitter @MUTigerBaseball.
Top-15 Showdown Between In-State Rivals On Tap ...
Through 40 games, Mizzou has found itself tied atop the SEC East and ranked in all of the major...
No. 14 Mizzou Drops Series Opener at No. 8...
No. 14 Mizzou baseball dropped its series-opener with No. 8 Vanderbilt, 9-2, on Friday night (Apr...
No. 18 Tigers Move Into First in SEC East With ...
No. 18 Mizzou (26-14, 12-6) took advantage of strong pitching performances from Tanner Houck (Col...
No. 18 Tigers Tackle the Tide, 4-3
No. 18 Mizzou Baseball (25-13, 11-6) defeated the Alabama Crimson Tide (19-17, 6-10), 4-3, on...
Mizzou, Alabama Alter Weekend Schedule
Due to expected inclement weather, No. 18 Mizzou baseball has rescheduled Sunday's series finale ...
Mizzou Baseball Fan Primer: No. 18 Mizzou vs....
No. 18 Mizzou baseball continues its five-game homestand with a three-game series against Alabama...
No. 18 Tigers Host Alabama This Weekend at...
At 10-5 in SEC play, the Tigers are in sole possession of second place in the SEC East, trailing ...
No. 18 Tigers Drop Midweek Contest to UALR
No. 18 Mizzou (24-13, 10-5) baseball began a five-game home stand on Tuesday afternoon (April 14)...
Official StoreOfficial Online
AUCTIONSOfficial Mobile APP