Simmons Field at Taylor Stadium is being resurfaced.
Aug. 6, 2012
COLUMBIA, Mo. - As the Mizzou baseball transitions to the SEC for the 2012-13 academic year, the Mizzou department of athletics is busy giving Simmons Field at Taylor Stadium a makeover as the field is in the process of being resurfaced. After having Kentucky Bluegrass on the field for years, Mizzou turf manager Josh McPherson and the baseball staff have been busy installing a new type of Bermuda grass called Latitude 36, the first of many changes with the resurfacing project.
The Latitude 36 grass will match the current dark green look that has donned the field at Taylor Stadium for the past several seasons. In addition to adding the Latitude 36, there are several other changes that fans will notice at Taylor Stadium next season. The additional changes are listed below.
- The grass on the infield, sidelines and the strip around the back edge of the infield dirt has been removed.
- The sand has been re-grated.
- The natural soil on the sidelines has been replaced with sand, which makes the entire field sand-based.
- New irrigation heads are being installed in the infield and outfield and old sprinkler heads are being moved to cover more area.
- The laying of the Latitude 36 sod will begin on Tuesday (Aug. 7), beginning with the infield and sidelines.
- The outfield will be sprigged with the Latitude 36 on Wednesday (Aug. 8).
- The entire field will be ready for play within three weeks.
- The turf collar around the home plate area will be replaced following Mizzou's fall practice schedule.
In addition, McPherson and his staff have been recognized for their work with Simmons Field in the past as this year's resurfacing project is in good hands. In fact, McPherson and his staff were recognized by the Sports Turf Managers Association last November as Simmons Field was named College/University Level Baseball Field of the Year.
For all the latest on Mizzou baseball, stay tuned to MUTigers.com and follow the team on twitter @MUTigerBaseball.
Mizzou Announces Schedule Change, Radio Info...
The Mizzou baseball program has announced schedule changes to the annual Fall World Series due to...
Mizzou Baseball Opens Fall World Series Wednesday
Mizzou baseball will open its annual Fall World Series tomorrow (Oct. 8) at Taylor Stadium at 6 p...
Mizzou Baseball Announces Winter Camp Schedule
Mizzou baseball has announced its annual winter camp schedule on Friday (Sept. 12). Mizzou will...
Mizzou Baseball Hires Hunter Mense as Hitting...
Mizzou head baseball coach Tim Jamieson has announced that Mizzou graduate and former Tiger All-A...
Mizzou Baseball's Recruiting Class Ranks...
The Mizzou baseball program has the nation's No. 31 recruiting class as Collegiate Baseball...
Lester, Bone Win Respective Summer Leagues
Two Mizzou baseball players - Josh Lester (Columbus, Ga.) and Logan Bone (Festus, Mo. - won...
Mizzou in the Pros
The month of July has come and gone and as we move closer and closer to October baseball, several...
Mizzou in the Majors
After a 5-3 victory for the American League in the 2014 All-Star game, the Mizzou Tigers in the...
Official StoreOfficial Online
AUCTIONSOfficial Mobile APP