Simmons Field at Taylor Stadium is being resurfaced.
Aug. 6, 2012
COLUMBIA, Mo. - As the Mizzou baseball transitions to the SEC for the 2012-13 academic year, the Mizzou department of athletics is busy giving Simmons Field at Taylor Stadium a makeover as the field is in the process of being resurfaced. After having Kentucky Bluegrass on the field for years, Mizzou turf manager Josh McPherson and the baseball staff have been busy installing a new type of Bermuda grass called Latitude 36, the first of many changes with the resurfacing project.
The Latitude 36 grass will match the current dark green look that has donned the field at Taylor Stadium for the past several seasons. In addition to adding the Latitude 36, there are several other changes that fans will notice at Taylor Stadium next season. The additional changes are listed below.
- The grass on the infield, sidelines and the strip around the back edge of the infield dirt has been removed.
- The sand has been re-grated.
- The natural soil on the sidelines has been replaced with sand, which makes the entire field sand-based.
- New irrigation heads are being installed in the infield and outfield and old sprinkler heads are being moved to cover more area.
- The laying of the Latitude 36 sod will begin on Tuesday (Aug. 7), beginning with the infield and sidelines.
- The outfield will be sprigged with the Latitude 36 on Wednesday (Aug. 8).
- The entire field will be ready for play within three weeks.
- The turf collar around the home plate area will be replaced following Mizzou's fall practice schedule.
In addition, McPherson and his staff have been recognized for their work with Simmons Field in the past as this year's resurfacing project is in good hands. In fact, McPherson and his staff were recognized by the Sports Turf Managers Association last November as Simmons Field was named College/University Level Baseball Field of the Year.
For all the latest on Mizzou baseball, stay tuned to MUTigers.com and follow the team on twitter @MUTigerBaseball.
Mizzou Notebook - Summer Ball Update
As we approach the final weeks of summer ball, Mizzou baseball players have made been making...
Mizzou in the Minors
While Mizzou baseball is busy with summer camps and workouts, they are also keeping an eye on...
Mizzou Baseball Announces 20th Bullpen Scramble
The Mizzou baseball program will host the 20th annual Tiger Bullpen Scramble on Friday, Sept. 12,...
Mizzou Baseball Announces Hitting Experience
Mizzou baseball has announced the Mizzou Hitting Experience, a brand new competitive learning...
Mizzou's Scherzer Earns MLB All-Star Game Win
A year after starting the Major League Baseball All-Star Game and winning the American League Cy ...
Former Mizzou Standout Kinsler Named AL All-Star
Former Mizzou baseball standout Ian Kinsler has been named to the American League All-Star Game...
Tigers in the Pros: July 11
Mizzou alumni have performed very well in the last week of play around the MLB. Max Scherzer...
Mizzou Summerball Notebook
As the mid-season of the summer leagues has come and gone, Mizzou baseball players look to make...
Official StoreOfficial Online
AUCTIONSOfficial Mobile APP