Simmons Field at Taylor Stadium is being resurfaced.
Aug. 6, 2012
COLUMBIA, Mo. - As the Mizzou baseball transitions to the SEC for the 2012-13 academic year, the Mizzou department of athletics is busy giving Simmons Field at Taylor Stadium a makeover as the field is in the process of being resurfaced. After having Kentucky Bluegrass on the field for years, Mizzou turf manager Josh McPherson and the baseball staff have been busy installing a new type of Bermuda grass called Latitude 36, the first of many changes with the resurfacing project.
The Latitude 36 grass will match the current dark green look that has donned the field at Taylor Stadium for the past several seasons. In addition to adding the Latitude 36, there are several other changes that fans will notice at Taylor Stadium next season. The additional changes are listed below.
- The grass on the infield, sidelines and the strip around the back edge of the infield dirt has been removed.
- The sand has been re-grated.
- The natural soil on the sidelines has been replaced with sand, which makes the entire field sand-based.
- New irrigation heads are being installed in the infield and outfield and old sprinkler heads are being moved to cover more area.
- The laying of the Latitude 36 sod will begin on Tuesday (Aug. 7), beginning with the infield and sidelines.
- The outfield will be sprigged with the Latitude 36 on Wednesday (Aug. 8).
- The entire field will be ready for play within three weeks.
- The turf collar around the home plate area will be replaced following Mizzou's fall practice schedule.
In addition, McPherson and his staff have been recognized for their work with Simmons Field in the past as this year's resurfacing project is in good hands. In fact, McPherson and his staff were recognized by the Sports Turf Managers Association last November as Simmons Field was named College/University Level Baseball Field of the Year.
For all the latest on Mizzou baseball, stay tuned to MUTigers.com and follow the team on twitter @MUTigerBaseball.
Quick Start Fuels a 9-3 Mizzou Win Over...
The Tigers scored eight runs in the first three innings to take a commanding lead and eventually ...
Mizzou Baseball Falls to UAPB, 8-3
Mizzou baseball dropped an 8-3 decision to Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Tuesday afternoon (March 24) at...
Mizzou Baseball Adjusts Tuesday Schedule
In hopes of beating the forecasted rain, Mizzou baseball will now play UAPB at 3 p.m. at Taylor...
No. 23 Mizzou Closes Seven-Game Homestand with ...
Mizzou sits atop the SEC East standings at 5-1 and heads into this week with an 18-6...
Mizzou's McClain Earns Co-SEC Pitcher of...
Mizzou junior righty Reggie McClain (Duluth, Ga.) has been named Co-SEC Pitcher of the Week, as...
Mizzou Drops Series Finale Against No. 6 South ...
South Carolina used dominant pitching and crisp defensive play to edge Mizzou, 7-5, on Sunday (Ma...
Mizzou Walks Off to Clinch Series Over No. 6...
Mizzou baseball came from behind twice, including a two-run rally in the 10th inning capped by...
McClain, Mizzou Take Series Opener From No. 6...
Mizzou baseball improved to 17-5 and 4-0 in the SEC as it defeated No. 6 South Carolina, 3-2, on ...
Official StoreOfficial Online
AUCTIONSOfficial Mobile APP