Simmons Field at Taylor Stadium is being resurfaced.
Aug. 6, 2012
COLUMBIA, Mo. - As the Mizzou baseball transitions to the SEC for the 2012-13 academic year, the Mizzou department of athletics is busy giving Simmons Field at Taylor Stadium a makeover as the field is in the process of being resurfaced. After having Kentucky Bluegrass on the field for years, Mizzou turf manager Josh McPherson and the baseball staff have been busy installing a new type of Bermuda grass called Latitude 36, the first of many changes with the resurfacing project.
The Latitude 36 grass will match the current dark green look that has donned the field at Taylor Stadium for the past several seasons. In addition to adding the Latitude 36, there are several other changes that fans will notice at Taylor Stadium next season. The additional changes are listed below.
- The grass on the infield, sidelines and the strip around the back edge of the infield dirt has been removed.
- The sand has been re-grated.
- The natural soil on the sidelines has been replaced with sand, which makes the entire field sand-based.
- New irrigation heads are being installed in the infield and outfield and old sprinkler heads are being moved to cover more area.
- The laying of the Latitude 36 sod will begin on Tuesday (Aug. 7), beginning with the infield and sidelines.
- The outfield will be sprigged with the Latitude 36 on Wednesday (Aug. 8).
- The entire field will be ready for play within three weeks.
- The turf collar around the home plate area will be replaced following Mizzou's fall practice schedule.
In addition, McPherson and his staff have been recognized for their work with Simmons Field in the past as this year's resurfacing project is in good hands. In fact, McPherson and his staff were recognized by the Sports Turf Managers Association last November as Simmons Field was named College/University Level Baseball Field of the Year.
For all the latest on Mizzou baseball, stay tuned to MUTigers.com and follow the team on twitter @MUTigerBaseball.
Gold Shuts Out, Blows Out Black 6-0
The Gold squad jumped out to a commanding lead early, grabbing a 6-0 edge after the third inning ...
Gold Team Shut Out as Black In Game Two
Black Team starter Brandon Baker (Lithonia, Ga.) was lights out, fanning five and allowing only...
Freshman Pitchers Battle As Team Black Takes 1-...
Game One of Mizzou baseball's Fall World Series featured strong showings from pitching newcomers ...
Mizzou Announces Schedule Change, Radio Info...
The Mizzou baseball program has announced schedule changes to the annual Fall World Series due to...
Mizzou Baseball Opens Fall World Series Wednesday
Mizzou baseball will open its annual Fall World Series tomorrow (Oct. 8) at Taylor Stadium at 6 p...
Mizzou Baseball Hires Hunter Mense as Hitting...
Mizzou head baseball coach Tim Jamieson has announced that Mizzou graduate and former Tiger All-A...
Mizzou Baseball's Recruiting Class Ranks...
The Mizzou baseball program has the nation's No. 31 recruiting class as Collegiate Baseball...
Lester, Bone Win Respective Summer Leagues
Two Mizzou baseball players - Josh Lester (Columbus, Ga.) and Logan Bone (Festus, Mo. - won...
Official StoreOfficial Online
AUCTIONSOfficial Mobile APP