Simmons Field at Taylor Stadium is being resurfaced.
Aug. 6, 2012
COLUMBIA, Mo. - As the Mizzou baseball transitions to the SEC for the 2012-13 academic year, the Mizzou department of athletics is busy giving Simmons Field at Taylor Stadium a makeover as the field is in the process of being resurfaced. After having Kentucky Bluegrass on the field for years, Mizzou turf manager Josh McPherson and the baseball staff have been busy installing a new type of Bermuda grass called Latitude 36, the first of many changes with the resurfacing project.
The Latitude 36 grass will match the current dark green look that has donned the field at Taylor Stadium for the past several seasons. In addition to adding the Latitude 36, there are several other changes that fans will notice at Taylor Stadium next season. The additional changes are listed below.
- The grass on the infield, sidelines and the strip around the back edge of the infield dirt has been removed.
- The sand has been re-grated.
- The natural soil on the sidelines has been replaced with sand, which makes the entire field sand-based.
- New irrigation heads are being installed in the infield and outfield and old sprinkler heads are being moved to cover more area.
- The laying of the Latitude 36 sod will begin on Tuesday (Aug. 7), beginning with the infield and sidelines.
- The outfield will be sprigged with the Latitude 36 on Wednesday (Aug. 8).
- The entire field will be ready for play within three weeks.
- The turf collar around the home plate area will be replaced following Mizzou's fall practice schedule.
In addition, McPherson and his staff have been recognized for their work with Simmons Field in the past as this year's resurfacing project is in good hands. In fact, McPherson and his staff were recognized by the Sports Turf Managers Association last November as Simmons Field was named College/University Level Baseball Field of the Year.
For all the latest on Mizzou baseball, stay tuned to MUTigers.com and follow the team on twitter @MUTigerBaseball.
Howard, Houck Invited to USA Baseball...
Mizzou baseball standouts Ryan Howard (St. Charles, Mo.) and Tanner Houck (Collinsville, Ill.)...
Word on the Tweet: #MizzouMade Scherzer Tosses ...
It has been quite a week for #MizzouMade hurler Max Scherzer, the ace of Major League Baseball's ...
Three Tigers Taken On Final Day of 2015 MLB Draft
Mizzou baseball saw three more players taken during the final day of the Major League Baseball...
Mizzou's Williams, Fairbanks Drafted on Day...
Mizzou baseball saw two if its junior pitchers drafted during day two of the Major League...
Mizzou Baseball - Summer Ball Update
As the summer months hit full swing, it is time to start looking at where the Mizzou baseball...
Mizzou, Tim Jamieson Reach Three-Year Agreement
The University of Missouri and Head Baseball Coach Tim Jamieson have reached an agreement, as...
Mizzou's Houck Named Louisville Slugger...
Mizzou baseball righty Tanner Houck (Collinsville, Ill.) has been named a Louisville Slugger...
Mizzou Baseball in the Pros
With the summer months upon us, its time to check in on our Mizzou Baseball alums playing in...
Official StoreOfficial Online
AUCTIONSOfficial Mobile APP