June 18, 2013
COLUMBIA, Mo. - Once again the 2013 spring semester was a success in the classroom and the community for Mizzou Athletics. Missouri's student-athletes posted an overall GPA of 3.00 in the spring to mark the fourth consecutive semester of 3.00 or higher for the department. Additionally, 13 of Missouri';s 20 athletic programs compiled above a 3.00 GPA.
The women's cross country team posted a department-best 3.55 GPA, while the women's track and field team recorded a 3.53 GPA, highlighted by a Missouri-best 40 student-athletes on the Dean's List.
Other programs finishing with better than 3.00 GPAs were women's basketball (3.04), men's cross country (3.05), men's golf (3.23), women's golf (3.40), gymnastics (3.38), soccer (3.30), softball (3.10), women's swimming and diving (3.18), tennis (3.32), men's track (3.04) and volleyball (3.26).
In the recently released Academic Progress Rate, Mizzou led the Southeastern Conference in four different sports, which tied for second-best in the league. The Mizzou football (982), men's swimming and diving (993), women's swimming and diving (1,000), and gymnastics (1,000) squads all posted SEC-best APR rates, while six other Tiger sports finished second in the league, giving MU 10 of its 19 conference-sponsored sport programs which finished either first or second. Additionally, 19 of MU's 20 sports finished ahead of the All-Division I APR average in each sport.
Below are more notable academic achievements for Mizzou last semester:
- 3.00 overall student-athlete GPA (fourth consecutive semester above a 3.00)
- 13 sports above a 3.00 team GPA (Women's Basketball, Men's Cross Country, Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Women's Golf, Gymnastics, Soccer, Softball, Women's Swimming, Tennis, Men's Track, Women's Track and Volleyball)
- 171 students were recognized on their respective Dean's List
- 253 (54%) student-athletes received a 3.00 or higher GPA
- SEC Honor Roll (235 student-athletes)
- 91 students received recognition in the Spring (Baseball, Golf, Track, Softball and Tennis)
- 40 students received recognition in the Winter (Basketball, Swimming & Diving and Gymnastics)
- 45 students received recognition in the Fall (Football, Soccer, Volleyball)
- 59 students received recognition for 1st Year (All Sports)
- MU finished second in the SEC with four sport programs leading the conference in Academic Progress Rate (APR) (Football, Men's Swimming and Diving, Women's Swimming & Diving, and Gymnastics)
- 19 out of 20 MU sport teams finished ahead of the All-Division I APR average for their sport
- MU finished second in the SEC with an 84% Graduation Success Rate, a record performance for Mizzou
- MU had four teams with a perfect 100% Graduation Success Rate (Men's Golf, Women's Golf, Women's Swimming, Tennis) Joe Hladik (swimming) received the SEC Male Brad Davis Community Service Leader of the Year Award earning a $10,000 postgraduate scholarship and Allison Heizelman (gymnastics) was a finalist for this award earning a $5,000 postgraduate scholarship.
- Allison Hu (soccer) and Nathan McCormick (wrestling) were both finalists for the SEC Boyd McWhorter Postgraduate Scholarship, earning $7,500 postgraduate scholarships.
- Nathan McCormick (wrestling) also received a $7,500 NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship.
- Allie Heizelman (gymnastics) and Kelcy Vanarsdall (track and field) were both named as Mizzou '39 recipients.
- Michelle Butler (golf), Cortni Ervin (track and field), and Taylor Medrea (gymnastics) all received Unsung Hero awards.
- During the 2012-2013 academic year, over 500 hours were spent aiding students in the career center with assessments, resumes, mock interviews, and career coaching sessions.
- During the 2012-2013 academic year, student-athletes spent over 2,500 hours volunteering with over 50 different organizations in Columbia and the surrounding communities.