Mizzou had a record-breaking semester in the fall of 2012, its first in the SEC.
Jan. 17, 2013
COLUMBIA, Mo. - At Mizzou, the term student-athlete is something that is lived up to and last semester's performance in the classroom by the Tigers backs that up. In fact, Mizzou student-athletes put together a record semester in the fall of 2012, which just happened to be the Tigers' inaugural semester as members of the Southeastern Conference. Of Mizzou's 20 varsity sports, 14 finished with grade-point-averages (GPA) above 3.00 while the overall GPA for the entire contingent of Mizzou student-athletes was a record-breaking 3.02.
The accomplishments of several programs during the fall deserve recognition, starting with the women's track and cross country programs. The women's cross country team posted a department-best 3.48 GPA while the women's track team compiled a 3.40 GPA while placing a Mizzou-best 38 student-athletes on the Mizzou Dean's List. Also, the Mizzou men's basketball team is worth noting as well as the team continues to excel in the classroom under second-year head coach Frank Haith. In fact, before Haith took over the program, Mizzou men's basketball had a team GPA of 2.55 in the fall of 2010 and saw that rise to 2.74 last year and 3.06 in the fall of 2012, showing a commitment to academic excellence. The 3.06 cumulative GPA for the men's basketball team was the second-best among any men's sport at Mizzou last semester, trailing only the men's golf team which had a 3.26 GPA.
Other programs worth noting are the women's swimming team (3.38 GPA), the women's gymnastics team (3.32 GPA) and the women's volleyball program (3.26). The volleyball team has seen similar success to men's basketball, raising its fall GPA from 2.86 in the fall of 2010 to its 3.26 mark in 2012 as seven volleyball athletes made the dean's list last semester.
Other programs finishing with better than 3.00 GPAs were women's basketball (3.13), soccer (3.20), softball (3.10), tennis (3.16), baseball (3.05) and wrestling (3.02). Men's swimming, men's track and men's cross country all finished with cumulative GPAs of 2.90 or higher as well. Below are more notable academic achievements for Mizzou last semester.
- 3.02 overall student-athlete GPA (Record Performance)
- 14 sports above a 3.00 team GPA (Record Performance)
Women's Basketball, Women's Golf, Gymnastics, Soccer, Softball, Women's Swimming, Tennis, Women's Track, Women's Cross Country, Volleyball, Baseball, Men's Basketball, Men's Golf, Wrestling
- Three sports accomplished record Fall GPA team performances (Men's Basketball, Women's Swimming, Wrestling)
- A Fall record 203 students were recognized on their respective Dean's List
- 284 (55%) student athletes received a 3.00 or higher GPA (Record Performance)
- 45 students received SEC Honor Roll recognition (Football, Soccer, Volleyball) (Record Performance)
- MU finished second in the SEC with an 84% Graduation Success Rate, a record performance for Mizzou
- MU finished fourth in the SEC by having five teams with the highest Graduation Success Rate in their respective sport (Men's Golf, Wrestling, Women's Golf, Women's Swimming, Tennis)
- MU had four teams with a perfect 100% Graduation Success Rate (Men's Golf, Women's Golf, Women's Swimming, Tennis)
- MU finished third in the SEC with four sport programs leading the conference in Academic Progress Rate (Men's Golf, Women's Golf, Gymnastics)
- Allison Hu (Women's Soccer) was named the SEC Co-Scholar Athlete of the Year and Capital One Academic All-American
- Five student-athletes attended the Mizzou Leadership Academy: Tori Howard, Sandra Ostad, Brittany Bendoff (Gymnastics), Joe Hladik (Swimming & Diving), & Marie O'Leary (Cross Country/Track)
- Five student-athletes attended the NCAA Career in Sports Forum: Camille Hayes, Camille Hackamack, Lauren Flaker, Stacy Swineburg (Track & Field), & Tyler Prazma (Wrestling)
Seventy-Two Mizzou Student-Athletes to Graduate
A total of 72 current and former University of Missouri student-athletes will participate in...
Mizzou Second in SEC for Academic Progress Rates
The NCAA has released its annual Academic Progress Rates (APR) for member schools, and once again...
Four Mizzou Teams Receive Top-10 APR Standing...
For the second-straight year, the Mizzou football team has been recognized by the NCAA for...
Thirty-Four Mizzou Student-Athletes Set to...
A staple of the Mizzou Department of Athletics has been the work of its student-athletes in the...
Mizzou Athletics Partners With United Way For...
Heart of Missouri United Way has partnered with Mizzou Athletics to create "Tigers Care," a...
Mizzou Announces October Three Stripes Club...
For the month of October, the TPP have re-named their program to the "Three Stripes Club". The...
Mizzou Announces September High Achievers Winners
Each year at Mizzou, hundreds of student-athletes compete at the highest level for their...
Alyssa Diggs Named Candidate for Senior CLASS...
University of Missouri senior forward Alyssa Diggs was selected as a candidate for the 2013...
Official StoreOfficial Online
AUCTIONSOfficial Mobile APP