A.L. Gustin Golf Course - Cross Country
Home to the Missouri men's and women's cross country and golf teams, the A.L. Gustin Golf Course was created in 1957. Located on the west side of the University of Missouri-Columbia campus, the course provides dramatic settings and challenging hills that prove a true test for even the strongest cross country runners. The 18-hole, 6,430-yard course is set up once a year for a 5K and 8K cross country meet.
"The men and women that have competed on the course have used strength, skill and speed to make it to the end of the meet," Head Coach Rick McGuire said. "It's both a physical and mental challenge to our student-athletes."
In a race for first, several individuals have set exceptional times on the A.L. Gustin Golf Course. Missouri's Ryan Hampton was a junior in 2002 when he set a time of 24:28.79, (8K), at the Big 12 Championships on Nov. 2. On the women's side, Valerie Lauver set Missouri's best time (17:18.09), on the 5K course at the 2002 Missouri Cross Country Challenge on Sept. 14.
Over the years, the course has played host to several home cross country meets as well as the Big 12 Cross Country Championships (2002), NCAA Midwest Regional Cross Country Championships (1982 and 1990) and the Missouri State High School Cross Country Championships (1963-1975). In 2004, the Mizzou cross country teams will open their season at home with the 12th annual Missouri Cross Country Challenge Saturday, Sept. 10, 2004, at 8:30 a.m. Five teams will converge on Columbia for the women's 5,000-meter and men's 8,000-meter run. Races will also be held for high school athletes on the varsity, junior varsity, and freshman levels. An open race will be ran as well.
"We're really proud to have such an amazing course that our cross country athletes can compete on," McGuire said. "It was an honor to be selected as host for the Big 12 Cross Country Championships in 2002. Our hope is that in the future we'll be able to host even larger events."
- A.L. Gustin is home to the annual Missouri Cross Country Challenge held every fall at the start of the Tigers' season.
- Over the past 12 years of competition, 10 Tiger men and eight Mizzou women have claimed Missouri Cross Country titles on the A.L. Gustin Golf Course
- Missouri's Ryan Hampton set the current best time (24:28.79) on the 8K A.L. Gustin Golf Course, while Tiger Valerie Lauver set the best women's 5K (17:18.09) time in 2002.
Post-Season Cross Country Meets Held on A.L. Gustin Golf Course
- Big 12 Cross Country Championships (2002, 2009)
- NCAA Midwest Regional Cross Country Championships (1982, 1990)